Sep 02 2008

Watercolored Calendar

Published by at 6:08 am under Calendar,SCS Design Team

My most favorite project to date is a calendar I designed in March that I love.  It took me three days to design the calendar on sheets of copy paper that I cut to 6″ x 6″.  Once I had the designs completed for the twelve months, I cut Canson watercolor paper, cold pressed, 140 lb. to 6″ x 6″.  I stamped and masked and stamped and masked several times on each page, embossing in between each step of the way.  Once all twelve pages were completed it was time to sit down and watercolor.  I was very naive in thinking I could complete the project in a week.  It took me nearly three weeks to complete it and I was sweating bullets (as my husband would say), worrying that I wouldn’t get it finished in tme for my March 15 gallery opening.  I began painting each morning around 7:00 a.m. and some nights would continue to paint until almost midnight.  My sons were troopers, they helped out by doing the laundry and cooking some of the meals. They were super and so very supportive.  Stephen, my oldest son, was in my stamping room every night or I was in his room getting his opinions.  I know I must have driven him crazy at times, I’m very grateful for his patience and for putting up with my constant interruptions.

january.jpg

Several stamps were used to create this floral scene.   After I finished the painting, I trimmed it down to 5 1/2″ x 5 1/2″, embossed the edges, added a black panel and adhered it to Certainly Celery cardstock.

calendar-display.jpg

I placed the finished page in a protective sheet and used this display stand to hang the calendar page on.  Each page is nestled in a protective sheet.  The calendar is on a desk in my office, I change the calendar pages month by month.  I used round binder rings to hang the pages to the horizontal bar.  I painted the display stand a very light creamy butter color.  I adhered designer paper on the base and the side panels.  Various ribbons and white satin were tied on the horizontal bar.  The little calendars are attached with vellum.  At the end of the year, I’ll take them off and paint new ones for 2009.

Come back tomorrow for February’s page.

Paper:  Canson watercolor paper, Basic Black, Certainly Celery

Ink:  Versamark

Accessories:  Tombow markers, Ranger gold/gold tinsel embossing powder, heating tool, kolinsky watercolor brush, velcro, computer, craft knife, dimensionals, Versamarker

20 Responses to “Watercolored Calendar”

1. Jerri, your beauties get better each time I see them. I have SUCH appreciation for the time and effort you put into your projects. You go far above and beyond all of us *normal stampers* — LOL!!! You are a true artist and that quality shines through so beautifully in your creations. I look forward to seeing the next 11 months once again!

2. SueB says:

Oh my, this is stunning beyond belief. What a beautiful piece of art to enjoy every day. Could you post where you got the little calendars? I’ve been trying to find some.

3. Ann C. says:

This is absolutely beautiful! I love to look at your work.

4. Linda C. says:

WOW! I’m speechless!

5. Donna Baker says:

wow – this is a masterpiece!

6. Dealbaida says:

Oh my! I am lost in admiration of your wonderful, wonderful calendar. The love you poured into its creation is evident in every brush-stroke and I shall be returning often to gaze at the beautiful pages. Thank you so much for sharing this exquisite and oh-so-inspirational project.

Marion, UK

7. Christine aka whim6915 says:

You have such a gift for creating beauty. How you can take a piece of paper, some stamps and colors and create something as stunning as these calendar pages is just magic.

8. Charlene says:

This is the most beautiful calendar I’ve EVER seen. You are truly gifted.

9. Stamper Gail says:

Oh no Jerri. When did Violets decided to stop selling her stamps? Like you, there were so many more that I wanted to order. Please do keep us informed should you ever find out if somebody else ends up with her molds and begins to reproduce them again. I only have 3 months of calendar pages left to color then I also need to design my December page. I played around with some of the stamps I had already gotten, but wasn’t happy with any of the results for the holiday month. I’ve made just a little over a dozen of the calendars and proud to say that they will be finished in time for Christmas. Of course mine didn’t come out anywhere as beautiful as yours, but I’ll post them on my blog once they are completed just the same. I’m just so darn sad that we won’t be able to get the M&CL stamps anymore.

I agree with you, this is definately my favourite project of yours. Your calendar is truly outstanding and I love to stare at it. The detail is amazing.

Jerri, another amazing work of art from you! It is hard for me to say which of your wonderful creations I love the best. This gorgeous calendar is right up there on the top though. Love, love, love it!

Pinky

12. Jerri these are artwork, and you should submit them for publication. The rest of the world needs to see these! I am still in awe of the sheer magnitude and detail of this calendar set! Beautifully design, professionally coloured. Gorgeous!

13. Jody M says:

I loved when you show cased these as part of the dirty dozen. It has inspired me to make calenders this year. Thank you so much for sharing your talent with all of us. Your work is a true inspiration.

14. cards4u says:

This is absoluely beautiful!! Love how you have displayed it!

15. Shel9999 says:

Absolutely STUNNING!!!! I remember seeing these in the gallery….just stunning!

16. evette says:

FANTASTIC JERRI!!!!!!!!!!! As a coloring crazy person myself I appreciate all the time that went into these fab pages. Congrats on a labor of love ….well done. Hey Jerri where can I get your watercoloring paper???????

Your calendar is most elegant and stunning, Jerri!! I love it!!

18. rainy says:

This is THE most exquisite work of art… EVER!! Love this calender!

19. Jarie says:

Wow. You work on these calendars are just over the top. Thanks so much for sharing your work of art.

Janet

20. Shelly Kasban says:

where do you get your calander display stands and the plastic protectors?