Sep 18 2008

Tutorial for Butterfly Napkin Ring

Published by at 11:44 am under Projects in General

Hi everyone, I’d like to apologize for not having this tutorial ready on Monday but, finally, here is the tutorial for the butterfly napkin ring.  Life has a way of getting in the way of our best laid plans.  I had to wait a few days for some sunlight to get this photo, and even then it’s not the best.  I find vellum difficult to photograph without good natural light and wouldn’t you know today we are finally getting lots of gorgeous sunshine . . . Murphy’s Law!

I love the elegance of this butterfly, I recently acquired this stamp and have been waiting to use it.  I have an identical stamp that is about four times the size of this one.  This is a design I made in my gallery over at SCS with the bigger stamp.  If you’re a Fan Club member, you’ll be able to view it.

One thing I’d like to mention about vellum is that over time it will curl, especially if you live in a humid environment as I do here in Florida.  I actually like the curl, it gives life to flowers and this butterfly.  I shot this photograph and two days later my butterfly curled due to the heavy rains and humidity we’ve been having.  The butterfly that I did earlier for the Fan Club gallery that is shown at the beginning of my blog has curled as well.  If you don’t care for the curl, you can always flip the napkin ring over and lay heavy books on the wings, this will flattened it back out, but watch out for your next humid day, it’s going to curl right back up.

napkintutorial12.jpg

The supplies I used for this tutorial are:

• Paper:  SU cardstock vellum; Canson watercolor paper 14o lbs.
  • Ink:  Versamark
  • Accessories:  Tombow markers, heating tool, watercolor brush, embossing buddy, Ranger gold/gold tinsel embossing powder, craft knife, Pearl Ex/Gum Arabic, mini glass beads (black and pearl), blender pen, Crystal Effects, self-healing mat.

napkintutorial1.jpg

Stamp and emboss the butterfly on a piece of cardstock vellum, I use Stampin’ Up!’s cardstock vellum because of it’s superior thickness.  Stamp and emboss the border on a piece of watercolor paper.  I used an embossing buddy to help with the embossing.

napkintutorial2.jpg

I painted the border first, starting with the leaves.  It really doesn’t matter if you paint the flowers first, that’s totally up to you.  I’m listing the colors I used for this project, please feel free to use colors of your choice.  I painted the leaves with #177 Tombow marker.  Lightly apply a small dot of color at the upper center of each leaf petal, use your watercolor brush to pull the color down to the tip of the leaf.  I also used #68 on some of the leaves for color contrast as I didn’t want all my leaves the same color.

napkintutorial3.jpg

After finishing the leaves across the upper and lower portion of the border, then paint the flowers.  I used #’s 553 and 555 for the blue flowers and #’s 757 and 851 for the pink flowers.  For the pink flowers, lightly color the flower with your marker (#851), using your paint brush to spread the color.  Once the flowers are dry, go back and add a touch of #757 in the petals and gently blend.  You don’t want to use too much water on your brush.  Do the same for the blue flowers, using #553 first, with a dab of #555 and blend.  Do you see the pink spot that I have circled with the black line?  I dropped my #757 marker, oops, not very desirable in this project . . . LOL.  I took my paintbrush and placed a drop of water on top of the mark and used a soft rag to gently soak up the color.  As you can see, it stained the paper.  I would be truly worried if I didn’t plan on painting that portion of my border, but I’m hoping at this point when I do paint it, the blush mark will be covered up.

napkintutorial4.jpg

As you can see in this picture, I’ve completed the upper and lower portions of the border.  Now it’s time to paint the border center.

napkintutorial5.jpg

I’ve now painted in the center of the border with a mixture of Pearl Ex gold iridescence and Gum Arabic with the watercolor brush.  Do you see how the red spot is now covered?  My panic disappears . . . LOL!  I chose to put this in the tutorial so that you can see it’s okay to make mistakes, I have several on every single design I do.  I just try to work with it as best I can and make it part of the design.  Look at the difference between the two borders, the Pearl Ex mixture really makes the colors “pop.”

napkintutorial6.jpg

I’ve included this picture to show you my homemade Pearl Ex paints.  I add liquid Gum Arabic to Pearl Ex powders and make a thick paste.  I place the paste mixtures onto a round palette that I purchase at Michael’s for $0.99.  I let the paste sit for a couple of days to harden.  I label the colors with a black Sharpie for easy identification.  Looking at the palette, you can see that I get quite messy when I’m mixing colors.

napkintutorial7.jpg

Once the paint is dry, use a craft knife on a self-healing mat to cut out the border.

napkintutorial10.jpg

When you’re finished cutting the border, roll it into a circle and use Crystal Effects to adhere the ends together, holding it for a few minutes to let the adhesive dry.  I know once Crystal Effects dries it’s permanent.  If you use a paper glue, in time it may not hold.  As I stated earlier, here in Florida we have a lot of humidity and some of the adhesives don’t hold up well.  The napkin ring is so pretty at this point I could use it for my napkin without attaching the butterfly.

napkintutorial11.jpg

I used the same markers on the butterfly that I used on the border and have painted them basically the same, except that I’m now using a blender pen.  I’ve tried several pens from different manufacturers and Stampin’ Up!’s pen is my pen of choice, I get great performance out of it and it goes a long way!  I’ve experimented with painting the vellum on the front and the back.  Conclusion:  I like both.  The flowers were painted on the front side of the vellum.

napkintutorial8.jpg

After I completed the flowers, I then flipped the butterfly over and painted the back side with the #757 marker going a little darker in the center and pulling the color out to the edges of the wings.  I’ve left the abdomen unpainted because I’m going to adhere micro glass beads, alternating with black and pearl.

napkintutorial9.jpg

After I finished coloring the butterfly I let it dry for about an hour and then cut it out using a craft knife being very careful around the delicate antennae.  I adhered it to the napkin ring holder using Crystal Effects.  You can see the micro beads in the abdomen were placed in an alternating fashion.

napkintutorial12.jpg

I’ve taken this photograph to show you the side view of the napkin ring, I gently bent the butterfly’s wings up.

This is such a beautiful project for a bridal luncheon, a tea with special friends, or almost any special occasion.  You’ll really wow your friends, but you’d better be careful, you may find one or two missing when the guests leave.

napkintutorial13.jpg

In my next tutorial we’ll make the butterfly place cards to match the napkin ring holders.

If you have any questions, please leave a comment and I will be happy to answer you.

58 Responses to “Tutorial for Butterfly Napkin Ring”

1. Chris says:

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You……….you make it look so easy. It is gorgeous!!!! Butterflies are in as tree decor this year. I wonder where a person could buy those clips they use to attach them to the tree……….hmmmmmm.

2. Linda says:

Gorgeous as always! You make it look so easy.

3. Cindy S says:

Wow! Just love the stuff you do. And thanks so much for the tutorials!

4. Nancy says:

WOW! So, so pretty! You make that look so easy. Thanks for the tutorial.

5. Jerri, every time I see one of your creations I think, “That is just the most beautiful thing I have ever seen!” Then you do something new, and I think it all over again!!! GIRL….you are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! This is soooo beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial too! {{HUGS}}

6. Jody Marcelis says:

Jerri, Thanks for the tutorial, this is so gorgeous!! I was thinking though… you must own stock in gold embossing powder. 🙂

7. Deah =) says:

sooo lovely. Your tutorial makes it look so easy…thanks for explaining your techniques! =)

8. Jerri, I just want to tell you that this is absolutely beautiful!!! Thanks for the tut!

9. Dealbaida says:

Do you have any idea how difficult typing becomes when your jaw is on the floor and your keyboard on the desk?? !!!

Thank you so, so much for preparing this tutorial Jerri. It’s truly wonderful.

Marion, UK

10. peanutbee says:

Wow, Jerri, this is beautiful…as is all your work. I’m always amazed at your coloring and can totally lose track of time looking at all the detail you put into it. Thank you SOOOO much for the tutorials and for explaining your technique for watercoloring. I’ve always wanted to be a fly on the wall just to watch you color and I feel like you’ve given us a glimpse of how you do the magical thing you do. Awesome!

11. Rita says:

Your tutorial is so helpful and I look forward to many more!

Could you let us know what type of craft knife you use? Is it an Exacto or a swivel type craft knife?? I always use tiny scissors for cutting delicate designs such as your napkin rings because I don’t feel that I have enough control with an Exacto. Many stampers use craft knives for these delicate cutting projects, so I may be using the wrong type of knife.

Thanks in advance for any insights and tricks of the trade that you can share about cutting out these intricate designs.

Rita

OMG, Jerri…..thank you sooo much for this tutorial!!! I will always be you biggest fan …your talent is AWESOME!!! Now, to order some Tombow markers and try your technique….there may be hope for me yet!!!

13. Jerri Kay says:

Rita Asked:

“Your tutorial is so helpful and I look forward to many more!

Rita”

Hi Rita, that’s a very good question. I use Stampin’ Up!’s craft knife, but Exacto is an excellent choice as well. A swivel knife would not work and I highly advise that you not use one on this project. Both watercolor paper and cardstock vellum are more difficult to cut than regular cardstock. If the swivel knife twists on you, you run an extremely high risk of getting a very painful cut, not to mention all that blood would ruin your beautifully colored watercolor. I use swivel knives when I use a Coluzzle or some of fiskars templates that are grooved like a Coluzzle plastic template. I don’t use scissors because they bend the paper when I trim around corners, etc., breaking down the paper fiber.

Jerri

14. Kerry Fitzpatrick says:

WOW!!! Fairy Dust and Butterflies!!! Just too too beautiful.

15. Q says:

in one word – breathtaking! Thanks so much for the tutorial and can’t wait to see what else you plan to share.

16. leslierich says:

I almost have no words to express how delicate and beautiful this is. It looks like something you’d find in a fine jewelry store. Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing this wealth of information!

17. Althea says:

Thank You for taking the time to do the tutorial. As always another beautiful project by a talented artist.

God’s Continued Blessings!

Althea

Oh my goodness Jerri, this is absolutely beautiful and breath taking. Thanks so much for the tutorial and for sharing the products, as that can make a world of difference.

Great job and your work is fabulous!

Joan

Absolutely stunning, Jerri!

20. Vickie says:

Awesome!! You do such beautiful work and I am truly blessed to be able to enjoy it. Thanks for the tutorial.

Vickie

21. Ursula in RSA says:

Wow!!! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your talents. I consider myself lucky to have found your site.

22. Carolen says:

Thank you so much for providing us with this
    information. Beautiful project!

23. Charlene says:

Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Stamper Gail says:

As always Jerri, truly amazingly beautiful. You know I did buy that big, huge butterfly that you mentioned and just recently sent it off to a dear friend who turned the Big 50 las week. I thought it represented the occasion quite well and had never seen a stamp so large as that one.

You are so sweet to offer these tutorials for all of your visitors Jerri.

25. Barbara says:

Whoa, thie is beautifull and I have these paints – never used them. You have given me an idea. Just beautiful

26. Cathy Rose says:

Absolutely LOVE your designs. Thanks so much for sharing your techniques!

WOW, Jerri I am blown away w/this tutorial! It is so awesome and I love how you got such wonderful close ups of the steps involved w/making this gorgeous napkin ring. I wish I could be fly on your wall and observe you doing these. I, too, am one of your biggest fans and truly blessed to call you my friend! Thanks so much, gf!

Pinky

28. Donna says:

Hi,
    First let me say I just love all your creations. I’ve tried the technique you use on your calendars and just love the affect it gives images.
    I do have a question. I have about 24 tombow markers and use them often but was wondering if there were certain colors that you feel are a must have? Do you buy your markers from a site on line or local? I’m getting ready to purchase some more markers but am not quite sure which ones to buy, other than all of them..LOL
    Thanks in advance
    Donna

29. A simply gorgeous project-so very pretty and rich looking. tfs

Bev J.

30. Jerri Kay says:

Donna asked:

Donnaon 19 Sep 2008 at 9:08 am
    Hi,
    Thanks in advance
    Donna

Hi Donna,

Thank you so much! I purchased my markers from Violette’s, they are available in art stores as well as on the internet. I believe Dick Blick’s carries them at a very reasonable price. As you can see in the photo above, I have the complete line of Tombow dual brush markers. Some of my favorites are 020, 90, 98, 133, 177, 158, 126, 346, 349, 535, 555, 757, 850, 800, 851. I also use SU’s markers in my designs. I can’t live without More Mustard, Real Red, Only Orange, Old Olive. The petunias in my blog banner were colored with Tombow 757, SU Real Red and Only Orange, the leaves were painted with Handsome Hunter, Always Artichoke, Old Olive, More Mustard, and the background wash was done with Tombow 020. When I do the tutorials, I will list the markers used in the projects.

31. Utterly gorgeous Jerri! Your attention to detail in watercolouring even the tiniest flower is amazing. Great tutorial, but totally beyond my abilities! I think I will have to settle from admiring from afar, so you just keep ’em coming!

32. Carole says:

Really beautiful project. Butterflies are my favorite stamps. The way you use the butterfly stamps is very gorgeous and elegant!

33. Wow! I have seen some beautiful work with papercrafts but this is fantastic. It looks like gold filigree. Well done. I would put these in a china cabinet instead of on a table. Gorgeous.
    Heather

34. Dianne Korslick says:

Amazing as always!! Thanks so much for sharing.

Dianne

35. MarilynY says:

This is a beautiful job done. Congratulations. Your tutorial is easy to follow and understand. You’ve got great teaching skills. This project is one that just catches most women’s attention and makes everyone desire to do the same. I know, I just ran a copy off so I can attempt to do this at some later date. Thanks for sharing this and also the info about humidity……which we also have a lot of here.

36. Vicky Gould says:

Amazingly gorgeous – I can’t imagine making one of these let alone enough for a bridal shower – if anyone touched it, I’d have a fit. What a fabulous artist you are!

37. Jennifer says:

Wow!! Gorgeous!

38. Jane says:

this is so beautiful, thatnks for sharing, I hope to give it a try once I get back from my trip. You make it look so easy!

39. What a wonderful tutorial Jerri! Lots of work, but it’s so clear and really shows your craftsmanship. Beautiful job! You’ve given it such life and vivid color…another beautiful creation from you. Big hugs.

40. Janine says:

Beautiful !! Just gorgeous…!

41. Sharon in NE says:

Thank you! It only makes me appreciate your art more.

42. Carole says:

Hi Jerri!
    I would like to know if you use your homemade Pearl Ex paints, like you would do with watercolor paints? I have Pearl Ex and arabic gum, I will do some for myself. Your tip on doing your own paints is very clever!

43. Jerri Kay says:

Carole asks:

Hi Jerri!

I would like to know if you use your homemade Pearl Ex paints, like you would do with watercolor paints? I have Pearl Ex and arabic gum, I will do some for myself. Your tip on doing your own paints is very clever.

A great question Carole. Yes, I use the Pearl Ex mixtures just like watercolor paints. The great thing about them is that due to the Gum Arabic, when you add water, you can control the consistency of the paint; more water gives a thinner texture, less water gives a more creamy texture. Think of them like Twinkling H2O’s only better. They dry very fast when painting. I keep mine in the palette so that they completely dry out when I’m finished. If placed in a closed container, they could grow mold.

44. Charlene H. says:

I really love all your projects. I do have a question for you about which embossing powder you use and why. In most of your posts you list using Ranger gold/gold tinsel embossing powder. Is this two separate embossing powders? If so, why do you use two?

Also, I imagine with all the embossing that you do you have tried many different kinds. Is there really a difference in embossing powders?

Any suggestions you offer would be so appreciated buy all of us in stamping land who want to try and make some projects like you do. They are so absolutely beautiful.

45. Jerri Kay says:

Charlene asks:

Charlene, Ranger makes three different golds. Super Fine Detail powder, Gold, and Gold Embossing Tinsel. I mix the Gold and the Gold Embossing Tinsel in a 50/50 mixture. You don’t have to do this, I do it because I love the glittery gold of the tinsel, it really makes a project sparkle! I tried using the Super Fine Detail powder and it doesn’t work well with the watercolor paper. The Super Fine Detail powder really wants to stick to the tooth of the paper and you’ll get a fine gold/grayish haze on your finished project after you’ve embossed it that takes on a dingy, not-so-pretty quality, the watercolor paper looks “dirty”. As far as which brand to use, I think that’s entirely up to the individual stamper. SU’s embossing powders are absolutely wonderful!!! I love them! I haven’t tried using their gold powder with this embossing technique, but I can imagine that it’ll work beautifully. I’ve tried the gold tinsel from Stampendous and although it worked perfectly fine, I didn’t care for the color. Ranger’s Gold Tinsel is a very rich elegant gold. If you’re in a store that carries both, pick up the bottles, compare the colors, and choose the one you prefer the most.

46. lengow says:

B !!!
    E !!!
    A !!!
    U !!!
    T !!!
    I !!!
    F !!!
    U !!!
    L !!!

47. Darlene Gabriel says:

Wow!!! This is so delicate and beautiful. Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

48. sandyh50 says:

Wow! My mouth just dropped when I saw this beautiful project! May I say how TALENTED you are!!!!

49. My word girl beautiful.

50. rainy says:

Jerri your work is always so amazing and full of such beautiful detail. This butterfly is exquisite!

51. Oh my gosh — I leave for a couple days and look what you get done!!! This is AMAZING!!! Thank you so much for this very detailed and complete tutorial!!! You KNOW I love your end result!! TFS!!!

52. Nancy Jensen says:

I am so amazed at the beauty of your craft! Personally, I wouldn’t want to let anyone touch the napkin ring! LOL!

I really appreciate your tutorial. I have some of the pearl ex but didn’t know how to use them. You have shown me some great examples of how to use them – along with the water color pencils.

53. Amy Johnson says:

Your work never ceases to amaze me. You are such an artist. I can’t believe you let that paste sit for two days and you cut these images out with a craft knife! Even though you make it look easy, I think its way beyond my abilities right now. Someday! Wishful thinking.

54. joanie garramone says:

I have just recently found this blog and by far your butterfly napkinring is one of the most beautiful works of art I have ever seen!!! You are truly blessed with your talents. I look forward to seeing lots more of your beautiful projects. Thank you so much for your tutorial. I must agree with Amy this is WAY above my level but it sure is worth working towards. You are a true inspiration!!

55. Angelina says:

Love this!! I was planning to make some pumpkin napkin rings for Halloween and this will make the SO much prettier! Thanks for sharing.

56. Dee Jackson says:

OH WOW!!!!!!!!This is totally gorgeous!! I love that butterfly

57. Shel9999 says:

Un-be-lieve-able. Holy cow. That is a LOT of work. But so beautiful. (I’ll just admire yours, ok?) 😉

58. how can I purchase this butterfly ring holder?
    please reply: [email protected]