Dec 05 2008

Christmas Placecards and Tutorial

Published by at 11:00 pm under Challenges,Christmas,Holiday,Spellbinders

Hi Everyone, I hope you’re enjoying day six of the Stamp Simply Celebration.  Today I’ve designed placecards I want to share with you together with a tutorial on how I made the cards without the ribbon showing on the reverse side.  My inspiration for the cards came from one of Debbie Olson’s beautiful designs.  To see all the events going on please visit notimetostamp (Sharon Johnson) and click here to see the information on the tab at the top of the page, above the blog banner, we are calling it Party Central.  Sharon and AJ are both giving away blog candy so you’ll want to visit their blogs.  You don’t want to miss out on all the goodies and festive ideas!  For the next several days there will be challenges, blog candy, and lots of fabulous designs from some fabulous designers to help you prepare for your holiday season.  I’m excited to be a part of this wonderful Christmas celebration and hope that you enjoy it as much as we did working behinds the scenes getting ready for it.  Thank you so much for stopping by.

Anyone can play any of the challenges by any of the hostesses during our 12 days of Stamp Simply Celebrates!!!  You DO NOT have to have a Blog to playuploading your project to SCS (Splitcoaststampers.com) is not only permissible, but HIGHLY ENCOURAGED.  When doing so, use the KEYWORD SSC08.

ss-celebrates-julie.jpg

Today’s challenges are being hosted by Heather of Cardz and LeAnne of Wee Inklings.  Their Featured Projects are Table Decor and a Holiday Planner.   If you are uploading your project over at Splitcoaststampers, please use the keyword SSC08 and link back to Heather and LeAnne letting them know you’ve participated.

My table decor theme is poinsettias and holly leaves.  I’ve designed poinsettia placecards  for my table.  This is a close up view of one of the place settings.  The dishes are my Fitz and Floyd Winter Holiday collection.  I bring out the crystal and silver once a year for Christmas.

place-card_edited-1.jpg

This is the full view of my dining room table and decorations.  The large santa and reindeer on the table is part of my Fitz and Floyd Winter Holiday collection.  I purchased the vintage santa standing on the floor beside the buffet several years ago when my children were small.  I used to place him beside the fireplace but now that my guys are older, they don’t like him and I’ve moved him to the dining room.

dining-room.jpg

A close up of the placecard.

tag-tutorial-8.jpg

The placecard consists of four layers.  I’ve taken a picture of three of the four layers on each placecard. I drew the gold borders on before assembling the layers.  The image on the left is a frame that I cut out using the nestibilities and Wizard.  The second image is a cut out of whisper white paper, cut the same size as the frame.  The third image is the watercolored design that will rest within the frame.

tag-tutorial-1a.jpg

I adhered the frame on top of the whisper white panel.

tag-tutorial-2.jpg

I then placed dimensionals on the reverse side of the watercolored image.

tag-tutorial-3.jpg

I’ve placed the watercolored image within the frame.  The panel is raised on the dimensionals, but the dimension is not showing in this picture.  The embossing shows up really well in this picture.

tag-tutorial-4a.jpg

I wrapped 1/4″ gold ribbon on two of the corners and adhered with glue dots.

tag-tutorial-5.jpg

I placed a fourth panel over the ribbons to hide them.  As you can see, I’ve already drawn the gold border on the panel before placing it over the ribbon.

tag-tutorial-6.jpg

I’ve now placed the gold bow in the corner adhering it with a glue dot and the place card is finished.  The placecard can stand in a vertical position or lay in a horizontal position.  I didn’t write names on the placecards as I want to use them in future years.

tag-tutorial-9-copy.jpg

I made twelve of the placecards, below is a group picture.

tag-tutorial-7b.jpg

• Paper:  Chili Pepper Red (Memory Box), Whisper White (SU), Watercolor (Canson)
  • Ink:  Versamark
  • Accessories:  Tombow markers, heating tool, Ranger Gold/Gold Tinsel EP, watercolor brush, Martha Stewart glitter, 1/4″ gold ribbon (Papertrey, Ink.), 18K gold Krylon pen, nestibilities, wizard, glue dots, glue glider adhesive, Zip Dry adhesive

Be sure and check out the samples made by  Jennifer, Darlene, Joan, and Darlene for Heather’s table decor challenge.

Be sure and check out the samples made by BarbJanineSharonDeb, and Darlene for LeAnne’s holiday planner challenge.

165 Responses to “Christmas Placecards and Tutorial”

1. Holy moly, Jerri! These are stunning! Beautiful work!

2. Heather says:

These are gorgeous Jerri, they’ll be keepsakes!

3. […] My challenge is to create some items to decorate your table during the Christmas season.    You can make it as simple or as fancy as you like.  I’m calling it a 1-2-3 challenge so you can choose to complete one, two,or three co-ordinated items to dress up your table.  Here are a few ideas but feel free to share your own hand made table decorations:   place cards, napkins, napkin rings, candles and candle holders, menus, centrepieces.  Make sure you check out the decor designed by these talented ladies also:  Jennifer, Darlene, Joan, Jerri […]

4. AWW Jerri, so beautiful…your Christmas table looks just fabulous! I’ve been gone the past few days, so I’m catching up with your wonderful projects now! Beautiful work!

5. Cathy says:

Just breathtaking, as is your dining room! Love it so much, Jerri! You are SUCH an inspiration!

6. nancy littrell says:

What an elegant and festive dining table for the holidays. Your china, silver and crystal are beautiful with your poinsettia placecards. I enjoyed admiring every little detail of your beautifully set table and placecards. TFS

7. barb schram says:

Oh WOW, those are awesome placecards, Jerri! I bet all your guests will take theirs frame it! (I would!!! lol) Your table is so festive and lovely!

8. Jerri, I just love looking at your beautiful table and dining room – what a treat — thanks so much for sharing!!! I LOVE your place cards — SO beautiful!!! What true little works of art they are and so worthy of being framed!!! TFS!!!

9. Sheri Danielson says:

What an inviting dining table and room. I love your reindeer that the guys don’t like. Also Fitz and Floyd is a favorite of mine. But the highlight is your amazing work with the placecards! Holy Kamoly lady. I wish I had one tenth of your talent.

10. Darlene says:

Wow! What gorgeous place cards. Your table looks beautiful too.

11. Becca Feeken says:

Jerri this is drop dead gorgeous!! These will make wonderful keepsakes for all who’ll be seated!

12. Nancy says:

OMGosh Jerri! These are amazing! So, so pretty. Your table is gorgeous too.

13. Your placecards came out beautiful. I love the photo of your table all set. It is lovely.

Mary

14. Just stunning Jerri! Your table is amazing, just like a magazine. Thankfully, you can’t see my table now!!

15. Elaine M. says:

Lovely – absolutely Lovely!!!!

16. […] unknown wrote an interesting post today onA Touch of Grace » Christmas Placecards and TutorialHere’s a quick excerptI drew the gold borders on before assembling the layers. The image on the left is a frame that I cut out using the nestibilities and Wizard. The second image is a cut out of whisper white paper, cut the same size as the frame. … […]

17. […] unknown wrote an interesting post today onA Touch of Grace » Christmas Placecards and TutorialHere’s a quick excerptI used to place him beside the fireplace but now that my guys are older, they don’t like him and I’ve moved him to the dining room. dining-room.jpg. A close up of the placecard. tag-tutorial-8.jpg. The placecard consists of four layers. … […]

18. […] unknown wrote an interesting post today onA Touch of Grace » Christmas Placecards and TutorialHere’s a quick excerptI’ve now placed the gold bow in the corner adhering it with a glue dot and the place card is finished. The placecard can stand in a vertical position or lay in a horizontal position. I didn’t write names on the placecards as I want to … […]

I can only imagine how gorgeous your home is, Jerri! Your table setting is wonderful and I so love your place cards. I so want to take a class from you on how you achieve your gorgeous colors.

Jerri, oh my goodness how beautiful! Great job and thanks for the details!

Joan

21. Dealbaida says:

Beautiful placecards. Stunning dining room. Must be Jerri’s place!!

Marion, UK

22. Jlynn says:

Beautiful addition to your table. Thank you for sharing.

23. Janine says:

Oh my these are beautiful!! Jerri your watercoloring is amazing!

24. LeAnne says:

Jerri, before Sharon asked me to participate, I think I had only visited your blog occasionally. Now I am excited each day to see what you have created in your elegant style! These are just beautiful! I have never heard of this stamp company that you used for your placecards, but I am surely going to check them out! TFS!
    LeAnne

25. WOW! I am just in awe of your work. I am thrilled that I can take your CHA class in Anaheim in Jan. with Kelley from ODBD!

Your placecards are just gorgeous – that doesn’t even describe it! And your dining room is just beautiful!!!!

26. Chrissie says:

Your placecards are gorgeous Jerri.
    I just wanted to say how beautiful I think your table looks, even more fabulous thatn the thanksgiving one if that’s possible.

27. Deb Saaranen says:

Oh my Jerri! How absolutely beautiful!!! How fun to get a glimpse of your elegant dining room decorated for the Christmas Season! Your placecards are just gorgeous– your drawn gold border is just perfect– as is your entire design!!!

28. Jerri these place cards are gorgeous and your dining room is beauitful! I love it.

29. Jerri! This is a beautiful post! Everything in it! I have been trying to find where to purchase Me & Carrie Lou stamps, but have been unsuccessful. I saw a post string on Splitcoasters and contacted one of the companies suggested, but have not heard from them. Will you please share where they can be purchased.

Thank you!!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

30. OMGoodness … ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS TABLE SETTING!!!! I LOVE Fitz & Floyd and I happen to have that exact same Santa (I have a Santa collection) and Deer as well as a few other pieces from that set!
    Your poinsetta placecards are perfect for your settings … awesome idea! Again, your table is STUNNING!!!! (Can I come to your house for Christmas … looks so warm and inviting!!!)

Your table setting is totally gorgeous, Jerri…and I love your place-cards!! Stunning and so beautiful!!

32. Jennifer says:

What a beautiful Christmas table! The place cards are stunning!!

33. leslierich says:

Festive, elegant, warm and inviting! All things wonderful! What a beautiful setting for your holiday meal. But those placecards — little art gallery-worthy paintings. You’ll be lucky to use these in the coming years…your guests will want to take them home!

THUD!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely jaw dropping gorgeous!!! Ya know I am going to ruin my key board if I don’t stop drooling all over it…..your place cards are over the top gorgeous and WOW, girl, that is one beautiful dining room!!!

35. Oh Miss Jerri!! These are fabulous! I don’t know if I would be able to bear actually writing on them though!! They are works of art!!

36. Shelly says:

A gorgeous place card for an elegantly set table. Lovely!!!

37. C Burke says:

I love these elegant cards.

38. katemeri says:

These place cards are so elegant and rick looking! Thanks for the tutorial!

39. Alanna M says:

What fabulous looking place cards.

40. Carole says:

Thank your so much for your tutorial. These place cards are fabulous!

41. Carole says:

Thank you so much for your tutorial. These place cards are fabulous!

42. Great tutorial, Thank you! Your dining room looks so elegant, everything is perfect, it should be in a home decor magazine, tags and all.
    -Cher

43. Michelle V says:

These are absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing these and the wonderful tutorial. Now I know I must have these nesties!

44. Kellye Newburn says:

I agree with with another person’s comment that your entire home must be so beautiful; your dining room certainly is!

45. Toni says:

I’m not sure that my words could do justice to how beautiful those placecards are. You are an incredibly talented artist!

46. Love it, love it, love it!!!
    So many beautiful things….so little time….
    Gonna have to get started right away!!!

Wow, those are stunning! I never thought of making a frame with Nesties (I’m waiting for my first set to arrive) – thanks for the ideas!

48. Michelle A. says:

What a gorgeous table setting! Stunning! I love the poinsettia place cards, absolutely gorgeous.

49. jules p says:

I love these place cards. Very pretty.

50. Glenda J says:

Your table looks so elegant and your place cards are awesome! thanks for sharing the instructions on how you made them. They are absolutely beautiful.

51. Beautiful tablesetting and totally gorgous placecards !

52. Shirley Lee says:

Who wouldn’t want to sit at this table. Absolutely gorgeous. You sure do make wonderful things with those Me and Carrie Lou stamps.
    Shirley L.
    Roseville, CA

53. morningglory says:

Your place cards are simply fantastic. They are gorgeous. Great job.

54. Diana Downey says:

Oh my – your place setting is gorgeous! Very elegant!

55. Nancy C says:

Your table setting looks like something from a magazine. All I can say is WOW!!

56. Eileen McClean says:

these are beautiful, and would amke beautiful presents for a Christmas table, the whole setting is lovely.Thanks for your ideas and the chance to win gret blog candy
    Eileen

57. Cheryl B. says:

Your place setting and your place cards are beautiful!

58. MarilynY says:

These place cards are so elegant. They’re much better than anything you can find in a store. I can only wish I had half your talent and imagination. Wish I lived close by so I could have some of your talent rub off on me.

59. Melanie says:

You’ve inspired me!

60. Ellen Smith says:

The placecards are Beautiful!!

61. SueB says:

Wowzer – elegant placecards – TFS!

62. Carol P says:

Love those placecards…absolutely gorgeous! Your whole diningroom is beautiful!

63. Pam P says:

Love your placecards, I know if I received one of them I would frame it and hang
    it for everyone to see.

64. Kathy says:

Just beautiful! I’ll bet everyone takes their’s with them–they are keepers!

These are beautiful…is there one with MY name on it….LOL….off to visit your other creations!!! http://www.nelliesnest.blogspot.com

66. Janet Swofford says:

These placecards are so breathtakingly beautiful! They are like framed pieces of art instead of lowly placecards!
    Janet

67. Mary Campbell says:

Your place cards are truly beautiful! I thought it was a beautiful plate when I first saw it. Thanks for sharing.

68. Barb (GrandmaUpNorth) says:

Your place cards are absolutely stunning – they are a work of art. Your dining room looks beautiful. What times dinner?? (lol)

69. Becky Yoder says:

Ohmygosh! These are absolutely beautiful! If I was sitting at this placesetting, you can be sure the place card would be going home with me . . . in a baggie so it wouldn’t get smudged, smeared, . . .

70. Kathie says:

Wow and wow – these are gorgeous!

71. The gold in your placecards is beautiful! You are so creative! I can’t wait to check out the rest of your projects.

72. DebbyG says:

Wow! You’re incredible!

73. Barbara says:

Beautiful place cards. talk about making a ritual of eating all that more beautiful

74. StampinCathy says:

Fabulous placecards and your table is just beautiful. Thanks for a very easy to follow tutorial.

75. Rama says:

WOW! gorgeous work. Love your dinning room with its Christmas look. Looks so warm and inviting.

76. Nancy Park says:

This is so elegant! This die is my latest Nesti purchase and I can see it will be put to good use. As usual a wonderful idea.

77. Selma says:

Your place cards are so beautiful and your table setting so elegant. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work with us.

78. Linda T says:

Such amazing artwork. Very beautiful!

79. Rebecca B. says:

I really love the shaped cards. So classy! ~Rebecca

80. Mary Kunze says:

Love everything on your table.

81. Toni K says:

Absolutely Gorgeous! I love your table and your whole dining room! Wow!

82. Susan Rothbauer says:

You set a beautiful table – those placecards are gorgeous!

83. Lois (clownmom) says:

What gorgeous placecards, Jerri. I especially like the frames around the edges.

84. Love your table setting. Wonderful work. Love how you color your images.
    Happy Holidays
    Heather

85. Jingle says:

This card is beautiful! I love the white you left in the leaves and the petals! It adds so much depth!

86. Carolyn (snowmanqueen) says:

Gorgeous place cards, love the nestabilities.

87. Sandy K says:

Beautiful placecards!

88. Linda E says:

Your diningroom table looks is stunning as are your placecards.

89. Allison F says:

Oh my goodness I can’t believe those are placecards – they are so beautiful!

90. Jodym says:

WOW Jerri…Love these, they are so beautiful!

91. Marisa says:

Great place cards! Love the shape and the sparkle. Lovely.

92. Nancy says:

The place cards are beautiful and your dining room and table took so elegant!

93. jessica l says:

We don’t do formal at Christmas but this would be great if we did.

94. Monica L says:

The place cards are so festive!

95. Diana says:

I love those placecards! I think that shape of nesties really make things look so elegant. Thanks for showing the assembly sequence; I can’t wait to try this!

96. Cathy says:

These place cards are amazing. Another use for my nesties – now to plan a dinner party! Thanks for the detailed tutorial, as I know I’ll be going back to it often!
    Cathy Spicer

97. Darlene L says:

Your dining room is just fabulous–the place cards are so beautiful. I enjoyed looking over the tutorial. Those nesties are such a great tool. darlene

98. Lisa808 says:

May I come for dinner? Your placecards and place setting are gorgeous.

99. Angie Marion says:

I love your project, your decorations, and your Thomas Kinkade!!!! Happy Holidays!

Angie

100. Roberta W says:

Your dining room looks so festive. When should I arrive for dinner? Make sure to put my name on one of those beautiful placecards.

101. Stephanie says:

Your table and placecards look emaculant.

102. Susan B says:

I notice that you used the wonderful Me & Carrie Lou stamps. Do you happen to know where to purchase them. I found one of their stamps (a treasure chest) some time ago in a little stamp store in Lakeland, FL, but haven’t been able to locate any others.

I love your place cards and your dining room is beautiful. Thanks for a chance to win blog candy.

103. Nancy C. says:

I love your placecards! I will definitely have to try these!

104. Ann C. says:

What lovely place cards and a lovely dining room setting. You do everything so beautifully!

105. WOW, Jerri! These placecards are so beautiful I can hardly stand it! Your delicate touches of gold on all of your work really makes them stand out and your coloring skills are second to none!

Just stunning! :O)

Virginia

106. Lisa says:

Such work! I love the plates too.

107. Gvendalen says:

WOW !! Jerri, gorgeous keepsakes! your Christmas table looks just fabulous!

108. Laurie says:

I checked this post out the other day when it was new. I have to say that when I saw your beautifully decorated diningroom, I shook my head in jealousy at your obvious talent to pull everything together. 🙂

The card is beautiful, too. You must be one of those people who can do it all!

109. Absolutely stunning, your table looks fabulous!!! Thanks for sharing!

110. Debbie Stelton says:

This is such an elegant project thank you for sharing it with us. Have a wonderful holiday season.

Debbie/Phx AZ

111. Susan G says:

I’d love to be invited to your house for Christmas! What a lovely table setting and the placecards are breathtaking.

112. Dana Herin says:

WOW!! Really, really awesome! I love the detail. I read on another post you had used a gold Krylon pen on the edge. Is that what you used here?

113. Candy says:

Your work is exquisite — I’m so lucky to have found your blog!

114. Carolyn Sharkas says:

Oh my that is absolutely gorgeous! thanks for sharing it.

By the way, I just found you and noticed that you are from Tampa, well, I am in Plant City, so I guess we are neighbors.

Carolyn S.

ceashark at aol dot com

115. linda patti says:

great idea, and I love the poinsettia! your table setting looks too pretty to ‘use’!!!

116. Carla H. says:

The traditional Christmas is very charming..luv all the details..tfs..xoxo

117. gail says:

Holly is my most favorite holiday theme, I even have a special cookie recipe that involves painting holly on the frosted cookies. I think your designs are exquisite! You are so very talented. Thank you for sharing. gail

118. Sue D says:

These are beautiful–I really like the watercoloring and all the details.

119. Isabel Z says:

Your Christmas table is breathtaking. You’ve inspired me to think about my table since we are hosting Christmas Eve dinner at our home. Thank you for sharing your beautiful creations.

120. Cindy S says:

I love your watercoloring! Such beautiful work!

121. Nadine Papove says:

Absolutely stunning! Love your work and your entire dining room is just gorgeous!

122. Amanda says:

Gorgeous place-cards & setting! Perfect for the holiday season.

123. Kerry from PA says:

What beautiful place cards! Those Me and Carrie Lou images are wonderful and your coloring is stunning.

124. Hilda says:

Your holiday table is beautiful – the poinsettia placecards are perfect!

125. CherylG says:

Your placecards are as beautiful as your dining room is!!!
    CherylG
    mcgodfrey918athotmaildotcom

126. Rene Mewes says:

Your place cards are wonderful! And your table is so elegant. I’m sure it was a lovely meal! Thanks for sharing with us!

Rene’ Mewes
    [email protected]

127. Julia says:

Everything is so beautiful!

128. Jennifer says:

Thank you for the place card tutorial. Beautiful project.

Jennifer L.

129. Linda Bandow says:

Jeri: So pretty….and I just happen to have that nestie…….love the Fitz & Floyd! Glad you got snow while you were here…..wish I could send it all to you. 🙂

130. rebecca says:

I love the vintage feel of these. Makes me long for an old-fashioned Christmas. Thanks for the leading us to places we wouldn’t think to go on our own — and for letting us play along.

131. Linda Raithel says:

Very beautiful and really go well with your tableware!

132. Ann says:

Your Christmas table is a great inspiration. It’s gorgeous.
    Ann

133. Gail H says:

They are absolutely lovely!!!

Gail H. 🙂

134. Linda Sims says:

What a pretty dining room. The placecard is a great idea, and your directions were easy to follow. Thanks for sharing them.

135. Christy says:

Thanks so much for the ribbon tip – your table must look so lovely will all the placecards and gold. Would truly be a warm feeling to sit and be surrounded by the beauty of your work.

136. SHartl says:

WOW! Those placecards are gorgeous! The watercoloring is so beautiful and the metallic embossing just makes them look regal. Your table settings are to die for!

137. Linda says:

Truly elegant and inspiring!

138. Karen L. says:

What a beautiful table…………..it just shines! I love the placecards and wouldn’t be able to give them up! The design would be great on cards or on a scrapbook layout as well. Thanks for showing them to us!

139. Cindyb says:

How stunning! Very elegant.

140. Cheri Howard says:

These are just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing them with us!

141. Maxine says:

Just love the way you colour your images!! Really inspiring 🙂

142. AnneSATX says:

Wow, those are so beautiful! Thanks for showing us how you did them, and thanks for the chance to win!

143. Marsha says:

These are so beautiful. I am always in awe of your work.

144. Michelle says:

What a beautiful table. Thanks so much for sharing and for the chance to win!

145. Dean says:

How elegant. The dining room, the dishes and the cards.

Thanks for sharing

146. Nan says:

Your place cards are so elegant. You do such lovely work.

147. Pam Clay says:

These are darling placecards and such attention to detail! They are the perfect touch to your holiday table (which is set beautifully, by the way)!

148. Annelies says:

Very classy place cards! I also like to keep it traditional on Christmas. Hugs, Annelies

149. jeanne nielsen says:

What a gorgeous table! And I love the place cards! I have to say that my table looks like that on Christmas eve only! Maybe you’ve inspired me! TFS! Jeannie

150. Claudia F. says:

You’re coloring is just wonderful, I wish I could do it as well.
    Claudia
    [email protected]

151. Julia Carter says:

I love this! Those placecards are so elegant looking! Like something you would find in an overpriced boutique. Great job!

Julia Carter

152. Sarah Denny says:

I love your project for the day. It is soo pretty:)

153. kim says:

this is fun I love your work

154. DEE F. says:

Your place cards remind me of old fashioned xmas postcards.
    I felt very nostalgic looking at them- such a joy.

155. Nan says:

Oh my goodness – absolutely beautiful!

156. Colleen says:

So elegant, detailed, and beautiful!

157. Sherri Alspach says:

Beautiful table— When’s dinner???? Ha– Just kidding?? Your table it beautiful though and the place cards are a great idea!!!
    sherri Alspach

158. Lucia M says:

Wow, what a wonderful place card, amazing! You are an inspiration for me:)))

159. Linda Bullard says:

You would have to watch me like a hawk, because I’d be stealing my placecard from that lovely table! Again, such wonderful detail touches with that gold Krylon pen! Thanks for the detailed tutorial. Linda

160. Danielle Smith says:

Another gorgeous project! I’m in love with the place cards! Must be the gold again 🙂 TFS the tutorial as well…

161. Just gorgeous, thanks for the Tutorial. All your creations as so beautiful.

162. Karen Arthur says:

Just gorgeous place cards. The combination of red and gold and the watercoloring was a perfect combination. The guests will be thrilled with they see the table setting, etc.
    Great job….