Sep 19 2010

Welcome to Fall – A Spellbinding Place Card

fall-designs-011-copy_edited-1.jpg

Hi girls, I’m back from my summer hiatus.  Stephen and I drove to Tennessee in late August and he is settled back into his dorm (sniff, sniff).  It was my intention to get right back into my routine as soon as I returned, but health issues have put me a couple of weeks behind.  I don’t have tutorials for these designs, but will try to get those done as soon as I can and posted.

I decided to jump right in and start on Fall designs, totally eclipsing Halloween.  I had so much fun playing with the bridal collection (the Dahlias from Spellbinders), that I decided to order more Spellbinders’ dies and experiment.  I’m so glad that I did!

With the Fall coming up, memories of homecoming games with moms wearing those huge mum corsages kept coming to mind.  When I was in high school, homecoming was a big event in our small community.  Everyone got all dressed up for our homecoming football game and all the moms wore mums pinned to their lapels (I’m not sure if that’s done anymore where I grew up, they don’t do it here in Tampa).

I had a blast playing with Spellbinders’ Daisy Heads dies trying to see if I could create a mum .   .   . well .   .   .   . who would have thought!  I tell ya, I had fun!!! Okay, after playing I was very happy with what I came up with, so on to the leaves .  .  .  oops, don’t remember leaves on those corsages, so a quick google search and voila .  .  .  . mum leaves.  Another search of Spellbinders’ dies reveals the Assorted Leaves dies  .  .  . perfect choice!

fall-designs-078-aa-copy_edited-1.jpg

More than anything I love decorating for the holidays and creating designs I know will tickle or thrill my guests.  I’m very pleased with this year’s Fall collection.  Together with Spellbinders’ dies, I’ve included a beautiful stencil, PD 0009 from the Star Collection.  This place card, while looking difficult, was easy to make.  I embossed the stencil by hand, although it can be embossed in a die cutting machine. I gave it a vintage look by sponging Encore Gold pigment ink and Tim Holtz Vintage Distress ink directly onto the PD 0009 stencil.  Using a light box, I embossed the image using Pergasoft and embossing tools.  I chose to do the embossing by hand to get this vintage look.  When I used the die cutting machine, the debossed areas turned completely brown, giving an embossed cream and debossed brown appearance that did not look vintage at all.  When I do the tutorial, I’ll illustrate the differences to give you a better understanding.  Because of the weight of the flowers I chose to also emboss a piece of 6 ply white poster board (I used the Wizard this time for embossing).  Using a craft knife, I cut the two images and adhered them together, giving strength to the embossing paper to hold the weight of the flowers.  I then cut a piece of embossing paper 3 x 6 and scored the middle of it, making a 3 x 3 card.  It was a bit too big for the embossed image so I simply cut it down to fit with a paper cutter. I used Carnation White embossing paper for the embossed front and for the 3 x 3 card that the card front is adhered to.

fall-designs-030-copy_edited-1.jpg

I used several Spellbinders’ dies for these designs.  The white flowers with black glass bead centers shown above were made using the Blossom 2 dies, the tiny aubergine flowers were made using a flower image in the Spellbinders’ Flourish Accent set, the large leaves were made using the Assorted Leaves die, and the smaller leaves and mum were made using the Daisy Heads dies.  I think the easiest way to do the tutorials will be to make a tutorial for the flowers, another one for the leaves, and then a tutorial for each design featured.  Hopefully the tutorials will follow within a week or two, health permitting.

fall-designs-079-copy.jpg

That luscious olive ribbon bow is made from 1/8″ May Arts silk ribbon tied into a bow on the Bow Easy, both from the Stamp Simply Ribbon Store.  The sweet little lady bug is a hand painted enameled brass bead measuring 1/4″ x 1/4″.  She can be glued or sewn down, I chose glue.  I used PergaGlue as my adhesive throughout the project.

fall-designs-080-copy_edited-1.jpg

Embossing pads and tools used for the leaves and flowers are:  Pergamano embossing pad, Pergamano embossing tools 3mm-large, 4.5mm-large, and 6mm-x-large. Darice embossing tools were used for the smaller flowers.  Please note:  PergaSoft is only used to emboss the card fronts that are hand embossed with the light box, not on the flowers or leaves.  Embossing papers used in this design are:  Carnation White, Purple, Orange, Moss Green.

fall-designs-081-copy_edited-1.jpg

To create the tag with the name on it, I used a copy machine to print the name on the embossing paper and then cut it with a Spellbinders’ Label 13 die.  Brass charms were used throughout as accents, as well as gold glass beads (adhered within the smaller flowers).  A Krylon 18Kt. Gold pen was used on the outer edges of the tag.

fall-petals-007-copy.jpg

All flowers and leaves were painted and embossed using both wet and dry embossing techniques.  The flowers and smaller leaves were first sponged with inks close in color, but a bit darker, than the embossing paper, then painted with a mixture of Pearl Ex powder and Gum Arabic before embossing.  The larger leaves were embosed with Encore Gold ink and Ranger Gold Embossing powder.  A tutorial will give step-by-step instructions for making flowers and leaves.

Never underestimate what you can do with sale items.  The feathers are from a feathered candle ring I found on sale at JoAnn’s for $2.00.  I did this entire project and still have a lot of feathers left over for future designs.

fall-designs-157-copy_edited-1.jpg

Weather permitting, you can entertain outside as well.  This picture was taken in my new rose garden that my husband helped me plant in July.

fall-designs-aa-108-copy.jpg

Shopping links have been provided throughout this post for your convenience in Olive Green.

Thank you so much for stopping by, I truly appreciate your visits and would love for you to come back tomorrow to see the next design from the Fall series.

33 Responses to “Welcome to Fall – A Spellbinding Place Card”

1. Sue K (Australia) says:

no suprises here – absolutely stunning jerri. the colours are simply gorgeous and vibrant. we dont celebrate “fall” and thanksgiving out here in oz – but i soooo wish we did – but the colours of fall can be used for the australian summer anyway i guess – looking forward to the rest of the week – and im so lovin’ that lamp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    stay well jerri (and again thanks for sharing)

2. Angela says:

Oh my goodness, this is just gorgeous! I love how you’ve given these placecards a vintage look and those flowers are stunning! Beautiful beautiful work!

3. I always love stopping in to see what you have been up to, Jerri, and this article is no exception!! Absolutely gorgeous photos of your brilliant work, as always. I can’t wait for ‘fall’ weather to arrive….it’ll be such a blessing this year as it’s been so terribly hot/humid here in SE North Carolina since the first of June and we’re ready for all the fun things that come along with fall and cool weather. Will be looking forward to the next installation of this series AND I hope you are feeling better soon.

Vickie

Jerri, what a gorgeous collection. I don’t think I would ever have the patience tp create a project as intricate as these. I am in awe of your work with the leaves and flower dies. Your flower arrangements remind me of my mother’s flower shop.

5. Jerri, your hand made flowers and the place card are JUST stunning! This is one WOW autumn colletion, for sure!!! I will check in each day with anticipation to see the remainder of the collection! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

6. Wow, your work never ceases to amaze me! I love all your flowers. Your colors are so perfect for fall. Hope your health issues are soon resolved. Look forward to more fantastic creations!

7. Pat Erickson says:

There are no words too explain your talet, these are out
    off this world. I wish you lived closer. Hope you are feeling ok.

Keep it up!

Pat Erickson, Scrap N Yak Shack

You nailed the football mum corsage. Yes, I do remember them as well. What beautiful fall colors you used. As always, you take my breath away

9. Oh My Jerri, this is just breath taking!! I can’t wait for the tutorials. I always learn so much from you. You are an inspiration. Hope that you are feeling better soon.

Blessings,

Deb

10. Gladys R. says:

Your work is just awesome. Always love seeing
    what you have created. Thanks so much for
    sharing all the lovely projects.

11. Lori M says:

What a wonderful day!
    It’s so good to have you back . . . jump starting us all again into the beautiful and creative world of Jerri Kay.
    Continued Blessings

12. Dealbaida says:

Welcome back Jerri! I’ve so missed stopping by to catch up with your news and am really sorry to hear your health is not at its best just now.

Today’s pictures are as exquisite and tempting as ever and I look forward very much to seeing the tutorials when they are ready.

Wishing you an especially speedy recovery to good health. Take care of yourself Jerri.

Hugs
    Marion
    UK

13. Bev J. says:

Everything looks gorgeous!! You are so talented and creative and I love seeing what you create. tfs

Hope your health holds-prayers for you.

14. Sallie says:

Oh, my goodness. For a day inside your head. You are so beautifully creative!

15. I’m coming for Thanksgiving!! WOW!!! Simply amazing!! Can’t wait to see the tutorials as those flowers are beyond amazing. I need a lamp like that too!! Simply talented, my friend!

16. Doris Cammorto says:

Get better soon! Awesome work!

Take care.

17. sorry to hear you are not feeling well Jerri.Amazing work stunning !!!Cant wait to see the tutiorials.Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.Philomena (Ireland)

18. THUD!

Loss for words.

Love this! Hugs to you!

19. Dottie says:

Wow! Just when I was thinking about fall cards. These are beautiful. I love those Spellbinders dies, too. They are quite the launching pad for creative ideas, and yours are amazing.

Prayers for you to stay well.
    Dottie

20. cepet says:

Oh, Jerri! These flowers are fabulous! So fall-ie, and so stunning! Awesome work! Hope all goes well with your health.

Absolutely Fabulous! Your designs are always so beautiful! Thanks for all the ideas and the links etc. I’ll be back again tomorrow. Thanks again Jessica

22. Cindy Lou says:

Jerri, I knew this was going to be good, but you did it again – It is GREAT! I can see I will be found deep in my crafting cave for the next couple of weeks making flowers for all different types of reasons. Thanks for sharing your simply amazing talent! You are such a blessing! I am in the middle of doing a wedding album, what do you want to bet, a few of these flowers will end up in it 😉 Thanks again!

23. Gloria C says:

Sorry to hear that you had health issues. Hope you are feeling better now. I just have to say I love, love, love this. I can’t wait for the tutorials. I have been so into making flowers this summer. God bless–Gloria

24. Conniecrafter says:

Breathtakingly Gorgeous grouping once again, can’t wait to see more closeup shots of them!

25. Barbara Riefner says:

Absolutely stunning Jerri!! However do you come up with these design ideas!!! I just love it. Gorgeous!!!

26. velta says:

Exquisite!!! How many other ways I could tell you “how beautiful” your art is! I remember the mums…and yours are breathtaking Jerri!!! You have quite the talented mind…I started to say “shut up…I hate you!” But, I am just mesmerized by your talent! I think I told you that I have been making my own flowers from your Wedding Collection and because of your tools that I purchased…they really are beginning to look like yours! I cannot wait to show you…Thank you for sharing…You are my “favorite” papercrafter online!

I hope your health issues are going to improve…I am sending a prayer your way…btw…your boys are beautiful!!! If I were their age…and if I had the intelligence (that I never had when I was that age)…they would be scooped up in a second!!!

Yeh, I think you would have had a lot of fun making these absolutely stunning flowers. The place cards are beautiful. Love to stop by and see your creations, so beautiful.

28. Pat Schwartz says:

I thought your bridal collection was outstanding, but the fall design is too! You have so much talent in design, color choices, etc. I love your work. Can’t wait for the tutorials!

29. Sonya Appel says:

Jerri, again another stunning array of elegant eye candy! The embossed panels look like porcelain! Looking forward to the tutorials. I totally understand about the health issues, take it easy and take care of yourself, I know it is easy to say but sometimes hard to do!

As always your work is stunning. I’ve been thinking of you and was worried you gave up on blogging. As you know, I love everything you do. Whatever you touch turns to gold.

31. Well Jerri, you’re going to have a gorgeous table once again….what a festive ensemble. I can tell you had a lot of fun in your studio making all of these beauties!

32. Beautiful work! Simply amazing works of art!

33. Deb Saaranen says:

Oh Jerri, what a gorgeous Autumn table you will be presenting! Just precious!