Oct 03 2010

Mum Tutorial – Part III

Published by at 11:53 pm under Dry Embossing,Paper Tole,Spellbinders,Tutorials

I’m back with Part III of the mum tutorial. We complete the mum in this segment.

A recap of the tools, accessories and supplies needed to make the mums, together with a picture of the completed middle and lower sections of the mum from Part II of the Tutorial, is provided below. I pick up with the smallest section of the mum, using the smallest die of Spellbinders’ Daisy Heads dies.

Products I used in making the mums include:  the Wizard, Spellbinders’ Daisy Heads die, Blossom 2 dies, a magnetic spacer plate, a tan embossing mat, two cutting boards, various colors of cardstock, various inks of your choice (optional if you want to tint the petals), a sponge wedge or dauberembossing mat, embossing tools (large and small), Gum Arabic and Pearl Ex (optional), Krylon 18Kt. Gold pen, and a paintbrush.

We ended Part II of the tutorial with the completed middle and lower sections of the mum shown above.  We’re now going to complete the smallest section of the mum using two petals made with the smallest petal die of the Daisy Heads dies (you should have six petals if you did Part I of the tutorial).  I had you make extra in the first tutorial in case you need back ups while practicing.  Again, I’ve taken step-by-step photos of how I embossed the two petals.  For the smallest petals, I used Darice embossing tools.  Okay Ladies, let’s get started!

Take two of the smallest petals from the petals you made in Part I of the tutorial and cut slits every other notch on one petal and every notch on the other petal. (I use these smaller embossing tools when I’m embossing smaller flowers and when I’m embossing stencils on my light box.  I love them!  They’re a perfect size for stencil embossing and they are economical.)

Take the petal clipped every other notch, using one of the smaller embossing tools, curl the tips of the notches by placing the tool near the edge of the paper, press down to curl the tips.

Pick up the next size embossing tool (a bit larger), place the tip of the tool about 1/8″ away from the edge of a notch, press down and drag/pull the paper towards the center of the petal as shown above.

Continue around the entire petal.

Your petal should look like this when it’s finished.

Take the second petal with slits cut every notch and emboss as you did with the first petal, pressing firmly, pulling closer to the center to completely close the petal as shown.

Adhere the two petals together as shown.

Remember the picture at the end of Part II of the tutorial (shown at the top of this post, 2nd picture down).  I didn’t adhere the two sections together earlier, I placed the middle section on top of the lower section and took the picture.  I waited until I got to this part of the tutorial to adhere them together so that I could show you the three sections of the mum side by side.

Place adhesive in the middle of the lower section and also around the edges of the middle section for a strong hold.

Place adhesive in the middle section and place the smallest section inside the mum.

The mum is finished!  The petals are tightly closed and fitting well within each other.  The lower petals are strong and will hold the weight of the flower. The mum has a total of eight petals.  You can use more or less, whatever you like, there are no rules.

A picture of another mum.  It was completed identical to the mum above except I cut the smallest petals a bit differently.

Take two small petals, cut every other notch on one petal and cut several slits on the second petal as shown.

Emboss the first petal to curl in the edges and form a cup/bowl.

Using the very smallest of the embossing tools, firmly press down on the tip of one of the cut notches and pull down, toward the center of the petal, curling the paper.

Continue on around the petal, curling the paper.

This is so pretty, it looks like a sea anemone.

The petal is finished and ready to be adhered to the first petal.

Add a dab of adhesive to the back of the curled petal and place it inside the other petal.

The two small petals can also be used as a small flower in a design.

I love playing with the sea anemone design!

These are flowers that I had left over after making the Fall designs.  I’ll use them when I finish making the rest of the Fall designs for my table.

I worked in an assembly line fashion when making the mums. I did all the cutting first, then the tinting, then the separation of the petals, and then painting them with Pearl Ex and Gum Arabic.  After they were dry I placed the petals in stacks of small, medium and large.  I made several large, mid-size and small sections, then adhered them together. I also made mid-size and small mums, using two dies for mid-size, and the smallest die for the small mum.

I have one more part to the tutorial showing flowers made with the Blossom 2 die set.

Thanks so much for stopping by, I hope to see you soon!

32 Responses to “Mum Tutorial – Part III”

1. Oh Jerri, these are amazing. So beautiful. Seriously, these must have taken forEVER to complete! I am in awe!!! Hugs to you!

2. […] A Touch of Grace » Mum Tutorial – Part III […]

3. velta says:

Oh my goodness…Jerri ~ I have sooo enjoyed looking at your tutorials, including the rutching (sp?) of ribbon. Amazing what you can do with a few tools and time. Funny, I have been sewing since I was 12 too! I started out making Barbie Doll and Ken Doll clothes…I sold them for a while, but you cannot get paid for the time you have to put into such small work as this. They were beautiful though, especially the Bride’s dress and Ken’s Tuxedo…At any rate, your tutorials have been very specific and anyone who wants to make these gorgeous mums should be able to do so without a problem because you were so detailed. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us!!

4. Anne says:

Hi Gerri,

I think I will be ashamed to show you the sample flowers I have made. Yours is absolutely fabulous! Stunning work!

Anne

5. Jerri, these are just gorgeous! Lots of work going on in your studio! The results are amazingly beautiful! Can’t wait to try these!

6. Nessie says:

Wow, they are gorgeous. I love the autumn colours as well – just beautiful!

Thanks so much for sharing these with us Jerri, they are absolutely gorgeous.

Great tutorial and beautiful mums. Thanks for sharing with us!

9. Dee Jackson says:

WOWIE!!!!!! These flowers are gorgeous!! Your tutorial is awesome. You are SO talented!!

OH my! look at all those lovely flowers! In beautiful colors. I love this technoque. Thanks for sharing!

11. Beate says:

Oh my goodness those flowers are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs and smiles

Jerri, you never disappoint. How creative you are. I am in awe that you came up with these flowers, and the number of them you created. It is obvious that you sit back and enjoy making these. Bravo.

13. Becca Feeken says:

Jerri, you always render me speechless. Your tutorial is magnificent!! I’m always awed by your creative depth – you take something so plain, sparkle it with vision and make it into a work of art. I’ll have to give these a try my friend. I’m sitting here clapping – bravo!!

14. Mickie says:

Just fantastic, so pretty!

15. Another great tutorial Jerri. I learn so much from you. Thank you for sharing your talent with us!!!!! You’re AWESOME girl!

16. Cindy Lou says:

Fun, fun, fun! Just for kicks grins, and giggles, I played yesterday and I made your “sea anenome” without knowing that you were going show how to do that. All it takes is playing and lots of fun! Thanks again Jerri, the smaller flowers are prettier than the ones I spent way to much money on from the paper flower place across the pond. I am now going to do as you did and “mass produce” a bunch of these to use on my cards etc. Thanks so much for enlightening my mojo and getting it flowing again 😉 You are the best! Blessings

17. Conniecrafter says:

I can see I would need to buy some more embossing tools I think they 3 different styles I have wouldn’t do the trick, but may have to give it a try with what I have on hand first. Love your tray of all the flower colors together, just gorgeous, and look at all that work!!

18. Sue C. says:

Jerri,
    Your creations always inspire me. Thank you for sharing.
    Sue

19. Pam Pagel says:

You are such an inspiration. These take my breath away. I can’t wait to get started and see if I can even begin to replicate your beautiful work. Kudos to you!

20. Donna G says:

Your final product is gorgeous! Thank you for using such specific details in your instructions. It shows us that you are truly generous and want others to be inspired by your work to make our own creations.

21. Thanks for the awesome tutorial! You rock!

22. Edna Siu says:

Jerri, they are so real, I can almost smell them. Thanks for the tutorials.

23. Heather Peel says:

Wow wow wow. again and again you just amaze me with your talent. This tut is so easy to follow .And clear pictures too .and yippeeee. i already have the daisy head dies too .i have been making flowers for a little while ,but i havent been using different size tools as you do .ill have to try this ,and i should of realised ,because ,i use different sizes when i do my parchment work “”.silly me .these flowers are fantastic ,and so real looking .Reminds me of my lovely Dads chrysanthemums in his garden when i was small .all sorts of colours were there .Ill have to do a garden card now with these on .Thank you once again .i just love coming here to join you and watch your awesome work Jerri.hugs Heather

24. Paula says:

Amazing. This tutorial is great. I’ve made roses but not mums – so would love a go at making these.

Paula, Derbyshire, UK. x x x