Feb 09 2011

Spellbinders – Valentine’s Napkin Holder

I absolutely adore working with Spellbinders dies to create items of beauty.  In my humble opinion, this napkin ring holder is absolutely gorgeous on a Valentine’s dinner table.  Combining the napkin holder with the Tea Lamp and the Place Card truly sets a romantic table! I think the white linen napkin is a perfect compliment for the intense red of this rose.

To make the rose, I used all of the dies of the Blossom 3 dies, with the exception of the largest die (you’ll see that used in an upcoming post, and boy what a rose that is!).  The size of the rose is dependent upon the number of petals used. (Ladies, when you’re dealing with this many dies, Spellbinders new Grand Calibur is the way to go. I love the ease of use and being able to cut several dies at one time.) I placed black stamens in the rose’s center.  Using the new Foliage dies, I added several leaf sprigs. The sky is the limit with making these roses, there are so many different colors to choose from. By tinting/sponging the edges of the petals, you’ve can create a striking rose!

I don’t like messy backs to my designs and try to finish them off to look almost as nice as the front.  As you can see, I adhered the leaves, then added a few layers of petals to cover the adhesive.  I then attached the plastic green ring holder with thick tacky adhesive.

TUTORIALS for making the flowers:

Flower Tutorial Part I

Flower Tutorial Part II

Flower Tutorial Part III

Flower Tutorial Part IV

Tools I use for optimum results in making the flowers:

Embossing Pad A5

Embossing Tool – Extra Small (for leaf veins)

Embossing Tool – Small Ball (for small flowers, leaves and butterflies)

Embossing Tool – Large Ball (for mid-size flowers and leaves)

Embossing Tool – Extra Large Ball (4.5mm) (for large flowers and leaves)

Embossing Tool – Extra Large Ball (6mm) (for large flowers and leaves)

Supplies used on the above design:

Paper: Fiesta Red, Moss Green

Ink:  Antique Linen and Old Paper Distress Inks, Old Olive and Always Artichoke (SU), Port Red (Memories)

Spellbinders™Grand CaliburS4-328 FoliageS4-312 Blossom Three

Misc.:  Black Stamens, Green Plastic Napkin Ring, Sponges, Aleene’s Fast Grab Tacky Glue, Embossing ToolsEmbossing Pad

Thank you so much for stopping by today, I love it when you come to visit!  Wishing you a wonderful day!

44 Responses to “Spellbinders – Valentine’s Napkin Holder”

Jerri, this thing is beautiful! It looks real – seriously! Thank you for sharing how you manipulated the paper to create the petals. It is pure genius! I doubt I could ever re-create it, but it is fascinating to see the process. You are amazing, girl.

2. […] A Touch of Grace » Spellbinders – Valentine's Napkin Holder […]

3. You totally captured the feeling of the rose Jerri! So stunning against the white…and I love the flower center and leaves! Such realism!

4. April says:

How absolutely gorgeous! This is so striking!

5. Susie says:

Jerri, this is a feast for the eyes *smiling* These napkins holders would add style and beauty to any table. Just stunning.

6. The success of the results it off in the middle of insufficient twists and turns.

7. Sheila - UK says:

What can I stay?! Stunning,exquisite and such a romantic creation Jerri. I truely am in awe of your wonderful creations and the inspiration you give me. I am just so pleased I was introduced to you and your beautiful blog by Spellbinders.

Love Sheila xx

8. Marion says:

I really did think this was a real rose Jerri. It’s amazingly lifelike. How on earth do you do it e-v-e-r-y time? Thanks too for the tutorials. I couldn’t hope to replicate this in a month of Sundays but it will be fun to try!

Happy Valentine’s one and all!

Marion
    uk

Gorgeous, Jerri!

10. Susan says:

LOVELY! Could I make the rose with the Dahlia die.

Susan

11. Robbie says:

This is sooo stunning!!! As usual! I’m making a list of dies I “need” and have these 2 dies on the list. I can’t wait to use them. You know…now that you’re on the Spellbinders team, their orders will triple, don’t you??? Your work is amazing and your tutorials are great making it difficult NOT to hit their site and place an immediate order. I’m so excited for you and can hardly wait until your next post…

12. Heather Peel says:

Wonderful . fantastic .and very romantic .Looks so real .Spellbinders .Will be so pleased they got you to join them .there sales will surely increase when everyone see what they could be making ,Seeing your inspiration ,and work using there dies ,Sales will treble for them .You are a very talented Lady Jerri and i love all your work .Coming too your site when i get a link brightens up my day .As i know there will be something magical to inspire me along.Thanky you so very much. Hugs Heather

13. Jen says:

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!

14. Nancy Schultz says:

I agree ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! Thank you so much for the how to. I can’t wait to get these new dies and give this a try. Your work is gorgeous.
    Thank you so much!

15. emily says:

So beautiful! I love how you finished the back so neatly. True artist!
    Thank you for sharing! :o)

16. Tracy says:

That flower looks so real Jerri! This whole project is just gorgeous, but I have to admit I’m a flower nut so they are REALLY catching my attention. 🙂 Could you tell me where you get the black stamens? They are just perfect for the center of your rose. Hugs!

Jerri, this rose looks so real and beautiful. Simply gorgeous, gf!

18. bethann d says:

Gorgeous. looks just picked, for real! where do you get your stamens??? it makes such a huge difference in flowers.

19. Wow, to set a table with those beautiful napkin ring holders. My next purchase will hope to be a few of the flower dies. I enjoy making my own flowers for my cards and other projects.

Jerri, you are blessed with such talent. DH must be so proud of you.

21. Carol says:

Gosh those flowers look so real. Beautiful work and how striking a table would look with all of that on it.

22. Pam Pagel says:

These are so real looking, you have really captured the essence of the rose. Just wondering where you got the black stamens for the center.

23. Sonya Appel says:

ALWAYS STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL! And now I have to go and get the ironwork dies (I already have the others)!! You are such an enabler, but in a good way, lol!!

24. Phil Droney says:

Oooooh so lovely and the finish well its first rate – thanks for sharing it

25. Deb Saaranen says:

Just amazing Jerri! Your flowers are so realistic and beautiful! This is a wonderful idea for a romantic Valentine dinner!

26. tops off the table setting perfectly, just gorgeous!!

27. Charlotte Hall says:

I can’t stop thinking about these beautiful flowers – you are truly talented. Maybe I can attempt to make one of these? Ohh, ohh, ohh! They are sooo beautiful ~

28. Dottie Davis says:

Your roses are stunning. I really thought it looked more real than the real thing. When sending a card with these large flowers on it what do you send it in? It must be some sort of box for the bubble wrap envelopes just won’t expand enough, or so I would think. Anyway, you sold me on the Grand Caliber Spellbinders machine. What a time saver it would be! Looking forward to further examples of using the Spellbinder dies.

29. Just fabulous…your colors are perfect and very striking…however, I would have to do them in PINK….lol

30. Carol Parks says:

Wow Jerri, I thought it was a real rose when the page first loaded.
    Words can’t even describe how gorgeous your rose napkin holder is.
    The whole table arrangement is to die for. I will have to watch your
    tutorial this weekend, and see if I can make some pretty roses too.

31. Margaret Thompson says:

Anything with flowers and flowers and flowers is absolutely great! The flowers that you have made and then been so kind to create tutorials for those of us who can grow them or just pick them but have no idea how to begin making them is a real blessing. I can’t wait until your next posting!!!
    May God continue to bless you for sharing your talents with us.
    Peggy

32. beautiful they look so life like.Best thing they dont die so you still have them for next year.Thanks Jerri for sharing

33. Elaine Moore says:

Your flowers are incredible!! You can almost smell them they are so real looking – just fabulous!

34. Bev J. says:

Beautiful!! So talented-Martha can’t hold a candle to you!

35. Cindy Lou says:

Beautiful napkin ring, just beautiful. I envy you the Grand calibur, it’s next on my list, in the mean time I just crank away, and crank and crank lol. Good exercise I am sure 😉 Thanks again for sharing Jerri, I just love getting mail from you in my box! Blessings!

36. […] I told you that the rose on the Napkin Holder used four of the five blossom dies. I said I had another rose that used all five of the dies  .   […]

37. Edna Siu says:

Jerri, it is beautiful, so classical, so sweet. . . . . run of words. . . . .

38. bonnie weiss says:

Jerri, it must be such a treat to visit your home just for the decor and personal touches that you create! These roses are so elegant and would enhance any table or decor.

39. Janice says:

I’m getting caught up on old e-mails. These projects are just amazing!! I love your napkin rings. Where did you find the ring the you have embellished?

40. Margie says:

Jerri: Do we use the same technique for the rose that we do for the mum. Does the Spellbinder Blossom 3 make a different rose than Blossom or Blossom 2? I have the Blossom, but I haven’t found the Blossom 2 or 3. I love your flowers.

41. Margie says:

Oops, I forgot to ask. Do you use a certain cardstock to make the flowers? Do you use a certain weight like 80 lb. or 110 lb.?

42. Tosh says:

Another stunning creation!! Your rose looks so life like!! You continually amaze me!!

43. Paula says:

This is absolutely STUNNING Jerri. I don’t thing there are enough adjectives to describe how fabulous this looks – and the series, well, I’m uterly lost for words – and believe me – I can talk!!!

I love how you made the centres of these flowers – I’ll look how you made them cos i’m sure you’ve said somewhere…

You make me want to make these flowers and try and see how realistic I can make them look. You’ve totally inspired me to get the dies – but i’m not sure if they are available in the UK yet… I will make enquiries.

TFS – you are such a talented lady!

Paula, Derbyshire, UK. x x x