Mar 08 2011

Wonderful Friend

When I first saw the Grand Nestibilities from Spellbinders™, I thought how wonderful for scrappers! They are so perfect for creating chipboard scrapbooks. I was especially thrilled for me because you all know how much I love making wall hangings (and that’s something I do foresee in the near future  .   .   .  LOL!). But while I was making designs for CHA, I also realized how fabulous they are for card making as well. Do you remember my Valentine’s card, a perfect example! I used the Grand Squares for that card.

I decided to play a little to see what I could come up with.  There are so many sets to choose from, I selected Grand Labels Eleven, I love the shape!  I used the largest die for this design. I think the card is so pretty and the shape is very unique, I love it!

I used Spellbinders™ Labels Twenty for the focal image. I layered the panels on Joy! Craft foam dimensional tabs. The bottom panel was stamped with a sentiment from JustRite’s You Inspire Me and the top panel was stamped with a stamp from JustRite’s Kindness stamp set. I outlined the edges with a Krylon 18Kt. Gold Pen. This picture was taken at an odd angle, I included it to give you a better view of the layered panels. It also gives you a perfect view of the crocheted ribbon tucked under the vertical panel.

The flowers were all made with Blossom Three dies. I added stamens to the teal flowers and edged the petals with the Krylon 18Kt. Gold Pen. I used the Mums embossing technique for these flowers.

Vintage Photo ink was used for the stamped sentiment and sponged on all edges of the paper. The tiny white flowers are Prima Mini Gypso flowers, so adorable! You’re going to be seeing a lot of them in some upcoming designs, they make great fillers in floral designs. To make the large flower, I followed the Mums embossing technique for the inner flower. For the larger ruffled petals, I cut three layers of petals using one of the larger dies. I clipped between the petals and then pinched the petals between my thumb and index finger to form the ruffles. I cupped the petals using a large embossing tool and adhered the inner flower inside with Perga Glue. Gold glass beads were adhered inside the flower. The leaves are from the new Nested Leaves dies. I aged .50″ wrinkle ribbon, as well as .25″ cream silk with Vintage Photo ink for the bow. I tied two bows on the Bow Easy and adhered the smaller one on top of the larger one, giving the bow four tails (shown in the bottom photo).

A smaller Labels Twenty die was used on the inside of the card. I stamped a sentiment from JustRite’s Friendship Blooms set, as well as a small flourish.

I opened up the card to show you the front and the back, as you can see, it’s one large die, perfect for 12 x 12 scrapbook paper and super easy to fold in half, as I did for my card. Isn’t this Ancestry paper gorgeous!

A Copic marker was used to tint the stamen tips a soft vintage rose.

TUTORIALS for making the flowers:

Flower Tutorial Part I

Flower Tutorial Part II

Flower Tutorial Part III

Flower Tutorial Part IV

Tools I use for optimum results in making the flowers and embossing the leaves:

Embossing Pad A5

Embossing Tool – Extra Small (for leaf veins)

Embossing Tool – Small Ball (for small flowers, leaves and butterflies)

Embossing Tool – Large Ball (for mid-size flowers and leaves)

Embossing Tool – Extra Large Ball (4.5mm) (for large flowers and leaves)

Embossing Tool – Extra Large Ball (6mm) (for large flowers and leaves)

Supplies used on the above design:

Stamps:  Friendship Blooms, Kindness, You Insire Me; The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store

Ink:  Vintage Photo,  Always Artichoke, Port Wine, Teal

Paper:  Carnation White, Dark Olive, Cerise, Ancestry; The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store

Ribbon:  1/2″ wrinkle ribbon, 1/4″ silk, 1.5″ crocheted laceBow Easy; Stamp Simply Ribbon Store

SpellbindersBlossoms Three; Nested Leaves, Labels TwentyGrand Labels ElevenGrand Caliber

Accessories: Embossing PadEmbossing ToolsKrylon 18Kt. Gold PenJoy Craft Foam Tabs; (A Touch of Grace – Paper Boutique), Sponges, Stamens (Michael’s), Baby’s Breath, Zip Dry Adhesive, Sewing Machine

Thank you so much for spending a few minutes of your day with me!

63 Responses to “Wonderful Friend”

1. Susie says:

Oh my goodness, this is absolutely gorgeous, oh so gorgeous (I love the paper)! It’s romantic, vintage, classic, floral – it speaks to every part of my heart – *big sigh* Just lovely, Jerri. Thank you for showing us what can be done with the Spellbinder dies. It’s amazing.

Susie~

Oh my, oh my, what an exquisite card and the flowers you make for these projects are stunning.

Have mercy, that is not a card, it is a GIFT! How absolutely gorgeous!! I can’t quit looking at it! Just brilliant!!!

4. Sheila - UK says:

You never cease to amaze me Jerri with each creation…..this is just so stunningly beautiful and such a wonderful gift to treasure.

Love Sheila xx

5. Angela says:

Very beautiful Jerri! I thought about picking up this particular die and now I think you’ve sold me! What a stunning card you have created. Love the elegant floral papers and beautiful flowers you used to embellish. The gold around the edges is really a lovely touch. Love this! hugs, Angela

6. Susan says:

This is such a stunning card. Could be used for any occasion – just wonderful. I go to my emails everyday just to see if you have made another card (I cannot get enough of them). I do get disappointed on the days when you have not made a card.

Sue

7. Susan says:

Absolutely stunning Jerri,

I envy the lucky recipient and sure they’ll keep this for years to come,

TFS Susan

8. Barbi says:

Wow, love your card, as always you inspire me! The new Grand Calibur is my fav product, the size and shapes of the dies give you so much versatility in your creating! Oh I would love to have them all! Hope your day goes well!
    Cheers!
    (I’ve been practicing the flowers too!)

9. Heather Peel says:

Hello Jerri. Wow .and more wow. Well if i was your wonderful friend .And i recieved this amazingly beautiful work of art .I would just stand and cry .this is truly beautiful. OOOhh i could just cry at its beauty .i love the papers you have used as well .and all the little bits of extras you always add .i so love this shape . i have grand labels 4 .but want to get more .Thank you for sharing this with us all .Its amazing.every time i see a touch of grace ,i leave all my other emails and go to yours ,because i know it will take me to another place ,where im free of pain ,and inspire me and excite me to see your creations thank you very much Jerri .your Talent is unending. Hugs Heather

YOur card is so gorgeous and elegant, Jerri! I haven’t ventured into the larger size dies as I didn’t want to purchase the larger machine. Ugh! I may have to reconsider.

11. Oh Jerri what a gorgeous card it is stunningly beautiful! I love every little detail. Yo have an amazing gift and I thank you so much for sharing your talent with us.

12. Jan D. says:

This is stunning! My wish list just won’t go away….I remove one item from it and add three more. TFS

13. bonnie weiss says:

Gosh, why can’t I think outside of the box like that. I would never have thought to use the largest die and just fold it in half. Thanks so much for sharing your idea and card Jerri, now I can get more use from my investments in the Grand Dies.

Your card, as usual is absolutely stunning. You have such serious talent, Jerri.

14. Dottie Davis says:

I have been wondering what a card maker could do with the very large Grand Caliber dies and here I see it! Just awesome! I don’t think hardly a card goes by that I don’t use the Spellbinder dies. The paper used for this card is right up my alley for gorgeous vintage cards. It is hard to find packs of paper with only these types of lovely floral prints so I will check out this brand. This card is very, very lovely. You should be thrilled with it.

15. Monika/buzsy says:

Gorgeous! Love the shape, the colors, the pretty flowers… just perfect. :o)

16. Carol Parks says:

Jerri, I’m just speechless! That has got to be the most beautiful card I have ever seen.
    I just love those Grands too.

17. Carol Pinkey says:

Gorgeous card Jerri! Your use of the Grand Caliber dies is making me realize I NEED this machine and large dies… I believe I will have to come out of retirement and get a job so I can buy without guilt!!

18. Wow, this is gorgeous! Beautiful papers, flowers, and I always love JustRite stamps!

19. LindaMar says:

Jerri! I love your sense of style. I have many of the spellbinders dies, but never thought about getting the Grand Caliber, but this has inspired me! Can’t wait to see for myself!

20. Barbara T says:

This is stunning Jerri. So beautiful. you should start an Etsy shop just for your designs or sell them in your own store! I so wish these dies fit into the original machine or we could purchase premade chipboard cut outs from these dies.

21. Just stunning……brilliant…..excellent…..I have falling in love with all those dies……and the DP is on the top of my “to get” list…..thank you so much for sharing the masterpiece with us….

22. Dee Jackson says:

WOW!! Now that I’ve picked my mouth off the floor let me tell you Jerri this is GORGEOUS!! WOW girl I love the shape, paper your gorgeous flowers just STUNNING!!

23. Barbara L says:

How do you keep doing it? Every project is just wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing.

What a darling project. You are so talented no matter what the medium/project is. You always take us into a new direction with your work and I love it.

On another note, I am very impressed by your posts. They are so very informative and your detail is amazing. I know how much work it is to put a post together, and appreciate the tutorials and how you link them up in your posts. Thank you.

25. Rebekka says:

This is just stunning! Gorgeous shape, gorgeous papers, gorgeous details.

26. The Grand Labels are amazing. How are you going to store them? I have seen the smaller ones being stored in books and CD cases. I have only a few of the dies from Spellbinders but I just love them and I’m going to be buying a few more but I need to figure out the best way to store them be for I buy any more.

I love the paper you used and what a beautiful card layout.
    Blessings!

O wow Jerri, this looks so exquisite! You have such style, you make me want to buy everything you use!

28. Carole RB says:

Hi Jerri

This is fantastic.

Have a nice day!

29. Carolyn says:

Lovely as usual! It makes my day to see one of you emails in my in-box. 🙂

30. Mary Gutierrez says:

OHHH…myyyyyy goshhh…absolutely beautiful card, what a brilliant idea. As always your work is gorgeous. I’m wondering what cricut .cartridge would cut out a similar shape. Anybody have have an idea? The flowers are beautiful too…I’m just in awww..

31. Fran says:

Just absolutely STUNNING as usual! I’m awestruck! You have such amazing talent.

32. Cathy says:

Lovely card.

33. So Lovely in every way, I love shaped cards adds that extra something and your papers are wonderful, so perfect with your goregous flowers, just love everything about it!

34. Mrs. Ham says:

Another beautiful creation. I know your family and friends can’t wait to receive a card from you. Your cards are pieces of art. I love them. Can I be on you card list :). Waiting patiently for your next post. Thanks for including the tutorials.

35. I’m with Mrs. Ham (above) How does one go about getting on your card list? This is a fantastic card.

36. This is absolutely GORGEOUS, Jerri!! And not only is the front exquisite, but you also decorated the inside… and the BACK!! FABULOUS!!

WOW …. and Wow again! How long does it take you to make one of the big flowers? This is beautiful, I have visions of you toiling over your creations, long into the night! I only have two small nesti’s ovals, but I do have my cricut to cut out the flowers with. But I remember how long it took me to make the bouquet for my nephew and his bride! And these are much prettier and more intricut flowers. I think I’ll have to figure out which flowers to use to make some of these he mum’s. I really like them. They’d be great on the album I’ve been making for my son and his girlfriend. She loves flowers. So I think she’d love these. And Maybe a wall hanging too. Hmmmmm Now you’ve got me thinking. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Hugs Jess

• Jerri Kay says:

It didn’t take long Jess. The cerise flowers you see on this card were rejects from the Valentine’s designs I did for CHA. While being pretty, I didn’t feel they fit in with the other reds I used on the Valentine’s designs. I make up several flowers when I’m making them and save the ones that don’t get used for a later date. This particular color is perfect for the Ancestry papers.

38. Oh Jerri this is just stunning!
    Those dies are huge! How perfect for doing invitations and such.
    I have to save my pennies to get a grand calibur!! lol

Thank you for stopping by my blog yesterday and leaving such a sweet remark!
    I really have a long way to go when it comes to that type of art work,but I enjoy it so that i suppose is the important part! right!?

Have a Blessed day!
    Mary

39. Just beautiful Jerri!!! All the elements are so perfect!!

40. Karen says:

WOW – this is absolutely stunning!!!!!

41. bethann d says:

another absolute stunner of a card. i’m going to steal some of it, i don’t have a Grand Calibar so have to improvese but a lot of the thngs i think i can kinda do for my favorite aunt’s bday card. i’m so in love w this one.

42. Patti says:

Here in Everett, WA it is raining and the wind is blowing and it is a rather grey day. How delightful to open your blog and see this gift from God through you to me today. As always Jerri your card is beyond describing. So utterly beautiful. Thank you and may the Lord bless you today as you have blessed me.

43. maria says:

hi jerri!
    your work is sooooooooo beautiful inspare me and many more people , thank yuo.
    i don make nathin like this , i only tray.
    i speec spasnish only and write spanish to, but i like to say thank you .
    im lurnig from you.a little but is ok.

44. Lynne says:

So beautiful and a treasure to be kept by the recipient.

45. velta says:

You know, I used to think I was just envious of your art work…but I am beginning to think it is down right JEALOUSY! I really felt that ugly green monster come out of my head when I saw this latest creation…I want to curse, but I can’t…so I will just say DAM_ your good…I hope that was not too bad…your flowers are my greatest jealousy…and this creation is no exception. I swear God put you on this earth to show your wonderful talent…well, maybe your two beautiful boys had something to do with it also. I don’t even want to know or hear about all of your other talents, good deeds, giving ways, loving ways…oh heck I could go on and on…I must put that ugly green monster back in it’s place…See ya later!!!

46. Sue K (Australia) says:

STUNNING – SIMPLY STUNNING xx

47. Absolutely gorgeous! I could never begin to make flowers like this. Fantastic!

48. Sherry K says:

You don’t make cards – you make keepsakes…..This is stunning!!!

49. Jerri — Your Keepsake is simply Exquisite!!! Your wor always takes my breath away!!

50. Anne says:

Hi Jerri, I don’t have to say anything but OMG!! You really like to amaze me with your creativity. The shape of the card is really special. Your mind keeps on creating………..thanks for sharing all your stunning work!!

51. Tonniece says:

What can I say Jerri that has not already been said. This is as always STUNNING.

Hugs
    Tonniece

52. Frances says:

Oh. its beautiful!! Love all the details on it, flowers, colors,design and sentiment. thank you for the inspiration. hugs. Frances.

53. Marilyn says:

Stunning!!! What a beautiful card, your work is just breath taking. Love all your little touches to make the card elegant.
    Enjoy your week.

WOW, Jerri…I didn’t think I *needed* the Grand Nestabilities but you sure prove me wrong…this is sooo gorgeous!!!! I sooo love the shape and the flowers, stamps, colors, and papers are absolutely STUNNING!!!!!

55. Wendy says:

WOW i sit and wonder what you will come out with next! your work is so inspiring, i wish i had your talent
    simply stunning and elegant too

56. wow wow! a work of art A masterpiece Im lost for words with this one jerri i

57. Denise says:

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Oh my gosh, love the colors and papers, curved shape….oh my gosh, can I just be YOU for ONE day?! 🙂

58. Another dreamily beautiful creation, Jerri! Simply enchanting!

59. Oh Jerri,

This is just amazing. You blow me away girlie. Absolutely amazing.

Deb

60. Paula says:

Jerri, this is absolutely stunning as usual. I’ve become accustomed to being stuck for words when I see your projects! Now being stuck for words is something that most people wouldn;t believe.

Paula, Derbyshire, UK.x x x

61. Greetings Jerry,

Saw this card posted on Pinterest today and was hoping you were back in production. It’s really a beautiful card. Blessings to you and your family, Sherrie.