May 04 2014

Dahlia I Tutorial

Published by at 11:00 pm under Dry Embossing,Spellbinders,Tutorials

Good morning ladies. Today I am providing the first in a series of tutorials I’m in the process of making using Spellbinder’s Dahlia dies.

I would like to say before starting this series that I am an avid fan of Pinterest. Some of the techniques I’ve read from multiple tutorials I’ve viewed on the Pinterest site are incorporated into my series of flowers. I thank the crafters around the world for sharing their tutorials so that we can all learn and build upon existing techniques. In no way do I take full or partial credit for creating anything new in the world of paper crafting. I am simply sharing my take on what I’ve seen and read and built upon those techniques previously shared. The purpose of the tutorials is to share with you how I made flowers with the Dahlia dies.

This first tutorial demonstrates how I made the blue Dahlia shown above.

I cut several flower petals using dies 1 through 5 from Spellbinder’s Dahlia dies from off-white mulberry paper (I will be selling the paper in my store, A Touch of Grace – Paper Boutique, as soon as it becomes available, most likely early-to-mid-May). These petals will be used throughout the tutorials. Each tutorial will build upon the previous tutorial. There are a total of six tutorials. In the first few tutorials I’ll show how I colored the flowers. To avoid redundancy, I will not show the coloring process in the rest of the tutorials.

For this example I chose die #4. Using a sponge dauber, apply Bundled Sage and Iced Spruce Distress Inks to both sides of the petals (or your preference as to tool and ink).

Spritz both sides of the petals with water. I used a brayer to spread the water and color. If you get too much water, don’t worry, absorb excess with a paper tower.

Cut a slit every other petal, then cut four more. I cut in this fashion to keep the cuts even. I use Cutterbee scissors for quick, precise snips, these scissors are sharp.

While flower is still damp from the water spritz bath, wrap one petal around an embossing tool (any round object will work).

I’m left handed so I hold the petal on the tool with my left hand. With my right thumb and index finder I gently squeeze the petal so that it wrinkles similar to a raisin. If you’re right handed, do the reverse.

Do this step to each petal as shown.

Fold the flower in half where there are splits (not mid-petal – see photo for example).

Fold the flower in half again as shown.

Fold the flower in half yet again and twist, as shown.

Do this with all four flowers.

Cut six stamens as shown. (Stamens were purchased at Michael’s in the bridal section. Stamens are double ended, you’ll cut three stamens in half for a total of six.)

Take two of the flowers and glue them together at the twisted base with a tacky adhesive. I use Crafter’s Pick.

Turn the flower over to the front and adhere three stamens in the center with tacky adhesive. Let adhesive dry and your flower is finished. Flowers can be made with dies #2 through #6.

Do the same with the other flower. I’ve included a blue flower I made earlier.

The colors I chose are a perfect match for Graphic 45’s Botanical Tea designer papers.

They’re also a perfect match for Graphic 45’s Secret Garden.

They also match Graphic 45’s French Country collection and most probably several other papers from Graphic 45.

Thank you so much for your visit! I’ll be back with the next tutorial in the Dahlia series later in the week.

39 Responses to “Dahlia I Tutorial”

1. Anne Young says:

Great demo!! Your squeeze make them look like they have lines on them. I don’t know if I have the strength to squeeze every petal. Can I use the embossing pen to draw lines on them instead? I really need to refresh myself on making nice flowers again!! I stopped making them when you disappeared from your blog!! It’s been such a long time!! LOL!!

• Paula Gale says:

Hi Anne
      have you got any of those reverse tweezers – they may be of some help – and they shouldn’t be difficult for anyone with dexterity issues either. Just a thought. Paula x x x

• Joyce B. says:

If I may butt in here. You may try to use a pair of tweezers to scrunch the petals together. Just a thought that I wanted to share. I may have to do this too.

Lovely tutorial!!! Thank you, Jerri, for taking the time to share your techniques with us for these gorgeous flowers. I can’t wait to try this out. I hope I can make them as pretty as yours!

3. Susan says:

Thanks for showing us how to make these gorgeous gorgeous flowers!!!

4. Your flowers are just beautiful. I do this squeezing technique on rose petals sometimes. I love the way you did the centers and may have to give that a try. Well done!

Wonderful tutorial Jerri. I guess I need to check out the mulberry paper when you get it in your store. These flowers are amazing. I hope your dad is doing better.

6. Phil says:

Beautiful flowers Jerri. Great tutorial. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and creative talent
    Phil

7. Great job, my friend!! Great job!!
    Vickie

Hi Jerri, you are so creative, but that doesn’t surprise me since I’ve followed your blog for a couple of years now. I’ve often wondered how you got those beautiful fluffy, frilly flowers from the flat petals that come out of these dies? Thanks so much for sharing your talents with us. Hugs, Jess

9. dottie says:

Love these beauties! The technique used in making these stunning flowers surprised me! As I studied your last 3-4 cards I wondered how they took on a look that just rolling the edges couldn’t accomplish! I am so excited to get started on making these myself! Thanks Jerri for the time consuming project of a tutorial…but you know we all appreciate the instructions very much in improving our paper crafting techniques.

10. Peggy Allen says:

Jerri, Thank you for the tutorial on the flowers. Your talent always amazes me. I am definitely going to try making some. Your flowers are so pretty & look so realistic.
    God bless,
    Peggy

11. Holly B says:

Love, Love, Love your tutorial on making the dahlia flower… It looks simple but I know it take a lot of practice to get them to look like yours because yours are really beautiful… Thank you for sharing !!!

12. I could never figure out how you made them look so real….I’m still amaze…but definitely going to try this….I wonder what paper is the closes to mulberry paper…would that be something like really paper or cardstock….either way…giving this a try…thank you so much Jeri for doing this…I know it’s a lot of work…and it’s very appreciated…again thank you…

13. Jean Pipp says:

I received my dahlia die from your store this week so I will be trying the very informative tutoria. shortly. The details in your explanation are great. Thanks for taking the time to help make us experts! Jean

14. Cathy says:

Jerri, what a wonderful tutorial. I love the way you give texture to the petals. Such an amazing result! Thanks for sharing!

15. LindaMar says:

Thank you so much for the tutorial, Jerri! I wondered how you made the petals all wrinkly- clever girl!

16. pcake62 says:

Great demo and how to color the paper as well. Thank you.

17. mary anne says:

Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. I love how your flowers always come out so beautiful. I cannot wait to try this for myself

18. Oh I have some white mulberry paper right now, will have to give this a try, beautiful work, thanks so much for sharing!

19. Eunice B says:

Hi Jerri, thank you my friend for a great tutorial, now let’s see if I can even come close to what your flowers look like. I’ll let you know. Take care and thanks once again.

20. Lynne says:

Thanks Jerri for the brilliant tutorial, having a try at these today. Beautiful flowers and so nice of you to share this x

21. Monica says:

Hi Jerri, Thanks for the tutorial, Can’t wait to get into making them, my dahlia die that I purchased arrived the other day. Can you let me know when the mulberry paper is available for sale, as I will purchase a few sheets to compare with what I can buy here. Cheers Monica

22. Paula Gale says:

OMG – you gave us the magic trick secrets!!! I am soooo impressed Jerri. I think it’s the ‘pinch’ to wrinkle the flower that has done it for me… I thought it was going to be so complex to get that wrinkle in… I am so so impressed.

Thank you so very much for taking the time and trouble to create and post this tutorial – I know how much work goes into this (I did a tutorial on my blog for roses before – the ones that became all the rage before the twirl ones!).

I seriously cannot wait for the next installment – thank you so much again!

Paula x x x

23. Debbie Dunham says:

Thank you for the wonderful tutorial! Your flowers are amazing!

24. Leanne says:

I often wondered how you made such pretty flowers that looked so real and had so much texture and wrinkles. This demo is super! Thank you for sharing it with us all. Appreciated!

Love and hugs…Leanne

25. Cecilia Reyes says:

Wonderful tutorial… The mulberry paper is so lovely. I hope yo get it soon. Thanks for sharing. I remember your flower tutorials far before pinterest. I know it’s a great source of inspiration, but you are an expert with flowers.

26. Greetings Jeri,

Wonderful and beautiful tutorial. These should be fun to make. I was also going to share that when I go to your blog I can’t seem to easily find the “previous or older” posts button. It is usually located at the bottom of a post and I can’t seem to find it so instead I go to your side bar and open up current months entries. Anyway, blessings to you and soooooooooo glad you are back sharing your wonderful talent on loan from the Lord. Blessings, Sherrie Clark

27. Marilyn in E ~Town says:

Extra time this morning to read up on your two tutorials, they are wonderful. I can’t wait to get in my craft room and give this a try. How wonderful you are for taking the time and sharing these tutorials. I so look forward to the next in the series.
    Have a wonderful day!

28. What a wonderful tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing this. The mulberry paper wrinkles and shapes beautifully….I hadn’t thought of using that. Thank you!

29. Chelsea Le says:

Wow! Love these as well Jerri! Think i’ll be making some flowers this weekend 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

30. […] to make these flowers posted earlier in the week.  Two other tutorials have already been posted, here and […]

31. Kathy Dumais says:

Jerri, you are amazing !!! I luv, luv, luv, these flowers ……talent is within…..Blessings, Kathy

32. Paula says:

Jerri, you have such talent! Your projects are all wonderful and I’ll tell you why. It’s the tutorials. So very easy to understand & to follow, step by step, and without getting lost in your directions. Thank you so much for sharing. I’m definitely going to make some flowers this weekend.

PS: just between us girls. I have been purchasing the flower sprigs that you can find in any craft store. I have been removing the small flowers from the spray and gluing them together for use on my cards. NOT ANYMORE!! I’ll be using Jerri’s flowers from now on.

33. […] adorning her wings with it. The rose was made using the pinched petal technique that I use in the Dahlia tutorials. I used Rose Creation dies for the flower, together with Foliage dies for the […]

34. […] and the Create-a-Rose dies (large soft pink rose). I used the wet petal technique (as used in my Dahlia tutorials) and mulberry paper (now in […]

35. […] from Spellbinders Create-A-Rose dies. I used the same technique to make the roses that I use in my Dahlia tutorials. I purchased the red Christmas berries from a site that sells vintage German […]